Do you still remember when Hikigaya Hachiman (比企谷 八幡) and Yukinoshita Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃) meet her older sister, Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) in the first time at shopping mall? I do! It happens in “Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。), Oregairu (俺ガイル)” LN v3. They meet coincidentally and have some chat. However, do you know something is happening while Hachiman observes the woman in front of him?
When Hachiman gazes long enough into her, Haruno also gazes into him.
It is difficult to observe Hachiman via Haruno’s point of view. She is a heir of elite family, excellent in everything, so clever and has many talents. So I want to know what she is thinking while observing a boy in front of her. What she finds out and decides later that Hachiman is very interesting.
Starting point of this Analysis
In LN v8, there are many things that made me doubt. One of my doubt is in ch3, After Haruno says goodbye to Hachiman and Hayama Hayato (葉山 隼人) at donut shop. Hayato tells Hachiman that she seems to be quite fond of him. At the very least, she looks interested. If she is not interested, she wouldn’t do anything. She’ll meddle so much with what she likes to the point of killing it.
Hayato’s words above made me wonder when Haruno starts to be interested in Hachiman? Umm… Let’s see.
- May be during school festival? It is possible. Because she praises Hachiman after he sacrificed himself to force Sagami Minami finish her job in LN v6.
- Or could it be during firework festival? She tried some tricks to check his thought as well. (ps. Firework festival happened in v5)
- She is quite fond of him as well (attacks him with her elbow and closes to him) in v4 but I remember he doesn’t do anything that interests her in this v4 either. Besides, If my analysis earlier about “Y” of Hayato is true, the starting point would happen before v4.
Yes! v3, So I read when Haruno meets Hachiman for the first time. Haruno is very mysterious woman because of her Orichalcum mask. Her mask is very thick that he and Yukino don’t know what she is thinking. So I analyze her in this v3, but before that, I need to summarize events back then.
Please let me find v3 in my shelf first. OK! My keyboard and fingers are ready! I will try to review every single detail.
- A woman meets Yukino and calls her. Hachiman turns and sees a very beautiful woman. She apologizes to her friends that she will follow later. He feels something like deja vu and feels distinct unease too.
- Yukino’s sister (Haruno) introduces herself to Hachiman so he does the same too. She remembers his name and scans his whole body. This makes him chill go down his spine but this feeling disappears after she announces to call him “Hikigaya-kun”.
- Hachiman compares both Yukinoshita sisters quietly but he feels unease again so he gazes on Haruno but meets her eyes only fleetingly, she instantly changes her attention to Yukino and reaches out Pan-san but loud and clear voice from her sister freezes Haruno & Hachiman.
- After she recovers from freezing, Haruno feels sorry because she touches gift from Yukino’s boyfriend. Hachiman refuses he is not but she uses this chance to poke his cheek with her index finger nonstop. Yukino tries to stop her but it doesn’t work. Haruno’s body presses against him as well as certain body parts hit him like Mohammed Ali.
- Yukino stops her meddlesome sister with icy stare, Haruno apologizes to her again, but turns to whisper in Hachiman’s ear about her sister. He startles involuntarily and his reaction makes her wonder what’s wrong. So he tries to excuse himself but Yukino shots his excuse with no mercy.
I intend to summarize this shortly but it’s longer more than I think. My eyes and finger are burning but this time my brain will be too.
Analysis with Nietzsche’s quote
I pick Nietzsche’s quote to this analysis because somehow Hachiman and Haruno’s behaviors (or should I say, their human observation skill) are the same as this quote.
If you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
And with his quote, I tried to read Haruno’s mind to understand her thought toward a certain boy in front of her eyes. I might be wrong but I will do my best!
Haruno meets her sister and a stranger who would come to that shop together with her. She would think how super rare her sister goes to shopping with a boy. Because she (and her mother – LN v10 c2) knows that Hayato is the only one boy who is childhood friend and no other boys are in the same status in her memory. So it’s okay to take her time to be the explorer, right? But before that, she should tell her friends who hang out with her to go without her first. (However, Hachiman starts to sense some unease feeling when he sees Haruno for the first time. Could it be this is instinct?)
Haruno, the explorer, introduces herself to him and he do the same too. So she gets his name and starts to scan him to remember this boy who is Yukino’s acquaintance but she notices he shivers after she scanned him. She thinks this is kinda “weird reaction” because no one who meet her in the first time will act like that, could it be he can sense something from her? No one except Yukino & Hayato knows she is wearing perfect mask. … So Haruno decides to “test” him to find out the answer.
- Hachiman wants to observe her because he doesn’t understand about this unease feeling, on the other hand, Haruno wants to observe him to check he knows she is wearing mask or not.
- From manga “Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatte Iru. @comic (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。＠comic)” v3, when Hachiman tells Haruno his name, her “cold eyes “can be seen clearly while she is scanning him. And I can see clearly that Hachiman is frozen from her scanning.
After Haruno decides to use observing skill, she defuses with broad grin and announces she will call him Hikigaya-kun. As she expects, with her smile, he doesn’t feel shiver anymore. He is kinda confused instead. When he looks other way, she gazes on him to observe more. However, while she is doing that, he turns to her and gazes on her! Haruno doesn’t know he will turn to her way so they meet eyes fleetingly. Because of that, she was caught off guard so she tries to turn to Yukino instead. It’s like when people notice what you are doing secretly, you would do something to hide what you are doing or your objective. When Haruno turns to her little sister and pretends that she is interested her Pan-san, this is how she tries to cover her action and objective from Hachiman. (But I feel sorry for Haruno to stand firm by trying to touch Pan-san of Yukino, Her HP is almost 0 because sudden Hachiman’s technique and drops to minus after tasted absolute zero from her sister.
I notice Haruno wants to stand firm because she so suddenly pay attention to the opposite way of Hachiman and her tone is sprightly unnecessary when she talks about Pan-san.)
- Haruno is the sun so her HP can be heal automatically, when Hachiman starts to talk to her, she uses this gold chance to pierce his defense by attacking with her javelin finger and absorb his HP with her brea… I mean her body. Yes! Her body! Finally she can be close to him. She did all of these because she wants to confirm he can sense something under her mask or not.
- Haruno pretends to whisper to Hachiman about her sister but her real intention is to let him see her eyes closely so she can confirm her doubt earlier. When he sees her eyes (or should I say, abyss), he startles involuntarily. With this, she can confirm he can sense her mask. Finally, her mission is finish! She defused her plan again by pretending to ask him that she made something to make him hate her. Maybe she is ninja like Hachiman, uses smoke bomb or something like that to escape.
– In LN, Watari-sensei never write that Hachiman gazes into Haruno’s eyes when she is whispering to him, but in manga series “Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatte Iru. -Monologue- (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。-妄言録-)“, v3 c13, it happens.)
– In @Comic v3, when Haruno tried to be near Hachiman, he can’t see her eyes but can hear her “cold voice” clearly instead. I like reactions of both of them in this @comic the most. I can see their expressions clearly more than LN and anime (I can see a bit in manga Monologue, but mangaka of this @comic can draw their expressions and reactions reasonable.)
In this LN v3, Haruno’s human observing skill was not activated at this time only. In v5, she uses this skill when she asks a certain question to Hachiman. You can read Oregairu Analysis – “When” Yukinoshita Haruno Decides to Help Yukino. to see more detail.
How Haruno repels the uncomfortable feeling of Hachiman (New!)
After Haruno sees “Hachiman’s reaction” when she whispers to him, this confirms her suspicion about him. But the result after her testing, it appears that he feels uncomfortable. So I assume that…
- she, who wearing the perfect mask, would do something to make the situation between them better.
- or to hide her true intention from him.
- or both.
So she pretends to be look cute ♥, to be confused, and asks him she did something bad or not.
With all these lovely expression, I am not surprised Hachiman feels guilty because if I look from his point of view, he makes her who is beautiful and older than him, apologize to him because of his reaction earlier + her lovely pose, so he tries to find any excuse.
- In manga @Comic v3, you will see how surprised Haruno is, after saw him back off like that. If you want to see her expression, well, you know what I mean, don’t you?
- I think her “lovely act” in manga @Comic v3 is consistent with the description about her act in LN the most.
After Hachiman tries to make Haruno feels comfortable, Yukino tells him to not reveal his… like that or he will be sued. Haruno is in the good mood again after heard that. She comments he is funny, meanwhile, pats on his back.
Yukino’s opinion is not what Haruno did, but I suspect she doesn’t miss to grasp this chance to repel his uncomfortable and guilty feeling, or to make him not worried or forget about “her doing” earlier.
Haruno invites Hachiman to go out for a meal, as Yukino’s sister, she must know that he will be suitable to be Yukino’s boyfriend or not.
I give her 10/10 for the perfect sister’s act. Maybe she wants to talk with him about this topic for real. But I don’t think so. Because her expression while she is saying this, makes me think she is pretending to be the older sister who is worried about her younger sister’s matter but she just is trying to change topic. She is smart to know that if she says like that, Yukino will be annoyed and refuses they are not like that, but Haruno still do it anyway. If my assumption is correct, her reason why she does something like this, I already wrote (above).
After Haruno succeeds in repel Hachiman’s uncomfortable feeling and to not let him think about “her doing” earlier, right now she is talking with her sister, and whisper about “mom” for the first time.
It seems this person Haruno mentions, has influence on Yukino a lot. So I collected this clue in this post – “Oregairu analysis – “Before” Yukinoshita Haruno Decides to Help Yukino.” There are clues about Yukino and Haruno spread in LN v1-4.
When Haruno talks about her mother is angry at Yukino who lives alone, I notice later that it’s also possible that Haruno is the one who is not pleased that her little sister runs away from home. Of course, her mother would feel the same, but when I saw a scene when she whispers to her little sister in @Comic v3, she is not smiling when she tells Yukino, so I suspect that she is the one who doesn’t like Yukino’s thought. I think she knows well why her younger sister lives alone.
- In manga @Comic v3 again, you will see Haruno’s expression when she whispers about “mom” to Yukino. Maybe because what I see in this manga, I suspect she is not pretending after all in this moment.
- This scene about “mom” doesn’t appear in anime ss1 ep6.
Mission report from a certain explorer (or should I say, ninja)
- During her mission, Haruno can confirm that Hachiman can sense something behind her mask.
- With all of these, she finds out he is very interesting boy and decides to look out for this amazing person! ♥♥ (and she would tell about him to Hayato later.)
Then what happened after Haruno met Hachiman and before the summer camp?
After she met him and found out he is “very interesting” like I mentioned above, I suspect she would meet with Hayama, before the summer camp period in LN v4.
If you are confused why Hayama observes Hachiman and tells him in the end that he would not be friend with him duing the summer vacation that is the next event after Hachiman met Haruno, you can read in this post – “Oregairu Analysis – Finally, “Y” in Hayama Hayato’s Heart Was Revealed”. There I revealed about his “Y” but I also explained Haruno’s timeline during the gap between LN v3-4 (after Haruno met Hachiman – before the summer camp) I suspect more that she would tell Hayama about “this interesting boy”.
If you think I miss any points, you can tell me via Comment. If you have different analysis, don’t hesitate to tell me. And at last, how do you feel about my analysis? :3
Please Share this analysis to someone if you think this is interesting, by using share buttons below.
If you want to receive the latest Oregairu analysis, follow Yahari Bento blog by click Follow button in this post will help you get notification when the newest post is published. ;3
Related Oregairu analysis you should not miss!
The analysis in this page mentioned what happened in LN v3. But in LN v4, you will know why Hayama observes Hachiman so much and tries to compete with him. Everything have their own reasons. Because a certain woman he likes, is interested in Hachiman.
After Haruno knows Hachiman can see right through her, and many things happened. It appears that she trusts him enough to vent her feeling to him when she is having problem.
What will happen if the one Haruno is interested, ever confessed his feeling to another girl before? Operation Fire Doughnut starts in this period!
Yukino-chan wasn’t chosen again, huh?”