In Oregairu, we saw Hachiman launches many plans (or should I say, operations) for solving problems. All plans are effectively and bring good results. However, in Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。), Oregairu (俺ガイル) , there are other intelligent characters who are second to none. Guess who?
One of these is Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃). She is so smart & manipulated type. We can’t get why she does this and that because she is not MC. We, LN readers, can’t read her thoughts like Hikigaya Hachiman (比企谷 八幡).
2/10/2018: Connect related posts because I found the connection between Haruno’s story during the festival and the donut cafe. This connection will help us understand her disappointment too.
- Please read Attention page first, to let you understand that my all analyses are not 100% right. All of them mix with my assumption/guess as well, more or less. If you expect absolute reliable analysis, I can’t provide them to you.
- This post is full of spoilers. I recommend you to read LN/anime/& even manga for full information.
Operation Fire Doughnut M@ster Donut, Chiba Perfecture, Tokyo Evening with the setting sun LN v8, Anime Zoku ep 3-4, Manga -Monologue- v7
Before You will Read.
Since I finish writing Oregairu analysis “Before”, “When” and “After” Yukinoshita Haruno decides to help Yukino, those are my conclusion series in LN v5-6 (anime ss1 ep5,8-12) that connect with what happens in this doughnut cafe – double date in LN v8 (anime ss2 ep3-4), so I recommend you to read LN v5-6 and listen to Drama CD v7 first (also LN v12), or read this list below before read operation fire doughnut. If you can read all of them, I believe you will understand the meaning of Haruno’s reactions and her suffering that she shows when she talks about her little sister.
Oregairu Analysis – “Before” Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) Decides to Help Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃).
WW gave many hints that show the present relationship of Yukinoshita sisters and one of Yukino’s wishes.
Oregairu Analysis – “When” Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) Decides to Help Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃).
After Haruno talked with Hachiman and Yuigahama Yui (由比ヶ浜 結衣), she understands how her sister will not change in better way and the future, so she decides to do “something”, for her little sister and her own personal desire.
Oregairu Analysis – “After” Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) Decides to Help Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃). (The First Part)
To make that wish comes true, Haruno decides to launch her secret plan in the school cultural festival. Let’s see how her plan will answer her objective. I can give a hint that her strategy to make Yukino is to be “the strong enemy”.
Oregairu Analysis – “After” Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) Decides to Help Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃). (The Last Part)
The positive change of Yukino happens clearly although a certain boy destroyed Haruno’s plan. This post will reveal how her secret plan is ruined by Hachiman, but it appears that his actions respond to her expectation.
Oregairu Analysis – Drama cd 7 (We will… We will Rock “You”!!)
This post will let you see Yukinoshita siblings are closer than usual. And although Haruno says many things about Hachiman that no one think or even notice her words seriously, I can feel “her hidden feeling” toward him.
Reason why this analysis exists
- I believe after reading LN, manga & watch anime zoku like the endless circle, we would finally understand her purposes/feelings/thoughts someday, just like during doughnut shop. Who knows that her double date plan is more mysterious than you can imagine.
- I found gigantic unbelievable truths, before and while write Haruno’s operation.
- Who will think she has feeling toward a certain boy and that girl to the point she is angry and suffers in the whole story?
- I can only say for now that she wants to eliminate “one (or two) person(s)”. And she wants “that certain person”, even she herself might not realize.
- Even someone like Haruno can be tricked by someone.
You can know all answers (1-4) after read ALL parts of operation Fire Doughnut.
Hachiman thinks she is just messing around (and I agree too, before) but after I realized her feeling and actions, I pick fire ring as the theme of her plan. You will know why I chose this image later.
Why Fire Doughnut?
I think about the title of this analysis as “Fire Doughnut”.
- Doughnut resembles a ring doughnut, you will know why I chose ring doughnut later.
- Fire resembles Haruno’s emotion during she stays in a doughnut shop.
After I got Haruno’s feeling and intentions, I named her plan “Operation Fire Doughnut” to represent her emotions and thoughts. …I feel you are thinking “What the h*** are you talking about?”. I kinda understand so just relax and continue to read.
Maybe this is not something can be called an operation, but since I can’t read her mind 100%, so what I can do is just tell you that she plans something because of her own hatred, because she can’t forgive someone and even dislikes another for different situations but the same issue, relationship. (??) And I doubt if she realizes her a certain feeling toward that person or not. But how to understand what happened, is interpreting reaction and considering accordance.
Damn another long-range Oregairu analysis
Yeah, I will warn you this is a very long post, so prepare doughnut and hot cafe au lait, with these heavy sugar snack and drink, you might survive from my analysis and Haruno’s wrath. We will show you no mercy!
It will be too long post (If you wonder how long this analysis, I spend writing everyday about 2 weeks but the progress still is 25%). And I split this operation into multiple parts (part 1, part 2,~). I want it will be easy for you to read.
Find out a quiet place to kill time alone.
Haruno stays in @M*ster Donut shop to kill time before she will go to eat with her friends later. In order to kill time, she brings many books and headphone to listen to music.
- Maybe not music, but I can’t think others more than that.
- This is just my guess, I think she would think the same as Hachiman think, to choose this doughnut shop because it is a good place to kill time since it’s very quiet and she can refill coffee so she can stay as much as she wants (in anime zoku ep 3, this shop is very quiet.)
- Hachiman mentions that this doughnut shop doesn’t fit her, it means she doesn’t care about image that much.)
Timeout for killing time alone
During her killing time, Haruno sees Hachiman so she greets him. However, she doesn’t expect he will run away from her. And then she pauses a little while sees him went away… So she follows him.
- I suspect she would be around this area or this shop often because she says it’s rare to see Hachiman around there.
- Haruno is pleased to meet him again~ and hopes he will sit next to her since he seems to come alone but it’s not as she expected, he chooses another seat far away!
- After little disappointed, Haruno gathers her things and moves to sit next to him. If he doesn’t want to sit near her, she will be the one sits next to him! I suspect she is sulking.)
It is a golden chance!
Haruno does the same before she moves and sits next to him, reading. When both of them know the reason why another side comes to this place, Hachiman tries a chance to escape but she can see through him so she attacks to prevent him doing that.
After that, she comments he is different from other guys, she says people try too hard to talk with her longer. (But does she not know that she is doing the same thing too!?)
- Hachiman doesn’t understand why Haruno needs to sit near him but for her, this is rare chance to be close with him alone together.~ So no way she will miss this golden chance like this! (in VN might not be reliable but I notice that when she talks with him while other people are not nearby her behavior changes, such as in LN, she seeks attention more than normal, while in the cat scene in VN, her tone of voice is different.)
Reading with him is good, but teasing him is better!
Haruno succeeds in keeping golden chance so she can spend time together with him comfortably. They end up reading books and drinking coffee. Time flows slowly and later, she notices Hachiman is staring at her so she sends him a question.
It appears he wants another refill so she passes her cup as well. The reading time still continues if she doesn’t start teasing him again. Just see his annoying reaction, she is pleased so much.
(This would be the first time (if I remember well) that Haruno and Hachiman spend time together, she seems to enjoy this moment so much. Reading book with him sure is nice but I’m talking about Haruno, as the one who looks out for him, she can’t stay quiet forever and starts 2nd round teasing him again~). I feel her behavior because she wants his attention.
Although I would not analyze Hachiman much, he tells Haruno that he will refill his coffee, I suspect that it’s his excuse to hide action (watching her).
How does Haruno check his feeling about her sister? And Why?
Previously, I just explain how Haruno behaves to Hachiman as if a girl who wants attention from a boy she is interested. Actually, the conversation after this is another factor that makes me suspect that Haruno’s interest in Hachiman, would be more than Onee-san and shourai Otouto-kun (google it to know their meaning). Let’s see how I will analyze her words. ⇓
After that, Haruno stops reading & makes big stretch while groaning~ before asks Hachiman about her sister, Yukinoshita Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃). Hachiman thinks she doesn’t seem too interested in what she asks. This time, she poses as the commander, turns to him and clears her throat intentionally. She asks there’s any progress during the school trip. After he answered, she tells him that her younger sister sent souvenirs to home.
I notice she asks about “her sister” just to begin another topic and to prepare a trap word that are actions that I suspect that it’s not just canvass but she is aiming something.
I highlighted at “she poses as commander and clear her throat intentionally” as I kinda sure these actions are the signs that she is preparing herself before launches indirect questions to check Hachiman’s respond that can reflect his true feeling. (I don’t know if you ever acted like her or not, but it’s like when you want to know something from someone, you can’t ask what you want to know directly because that person might suspect why you want to know or even complain, so asking indirectly is the good choice because you can hide your own intention and obtain answer from others. I think she is a normal human who is not different from us)
Because the last time she met him is during congratulations party after school festival and the school trip that is the event that students like to confess their feelings to their crush. That’s why I suspect that Haruno wants to know that there are any girls approached him or not. This is the meaning of “progress” she says, got it? Asking him with indirect questions as if she wants to know about her little sister first, will prevent him to suspect her, and she can observe his reaction.
At first, I was not sure that Haruno is worried if her little sister has some feeling toward Hachiman or not (so I reviewed her reactions when she acts as if she is not interested, this might be her acting, and when she puts her book in the bag and changes her pose, I feel that now she will ask what she wants to know the most, and whatever she asked earlier, is just …another topic only).
But when I read LN v12, when she asks Hachiman what the relationship within the service club is. You can see that she never believe that it’s love triangle so this fact can be interpreted with her doubtfulness at this time that she is suspecting if a certain girl will use the rare chance like Kyoto trip to “make progress” so their relationship will move to another level or not. I think you would know which person. You can notice from Haruno’s words.
“So… Did anything happen afterwards?”
Not mentioning a subject made it hard to understand what she was saying. As I replied with vague responses saying “what are you saying?”, Haruno-san sent me a dubious look.
“You went on a field trip, right?”
These indirect questions and reaction that I highlighted, can be interpreted as nothing special, but I can feel that she urges him to think that if there is any unusual doki doki situation happened to him during the trip or not. She can notice his reaction so easily. If that certain girl confessed her feeling to him, although he tries to hide it, his reactions will say the truth. However, when she sees him is still calm, she can conclude by herself that there’s no exciting thing (like love confession) happened to him.
I don’t know you ever asked someone you are interested or someone did that to you or not, and I will not ask for your personal info. But I notice that most people want to know thoughts of others (especially, someone who is in mind), but they can’t show their true feeling despite they want others to reveal their hidden feeling. I think that her behavior is not different from other people.
Haruno is a woman who always hides her true intention from interlocutor or other people by using indirect questions or secret missions (such as her dialogue during the firework festival).
To understand her words during the doughnut cafe is difficult but this is nothing compares to How she dodges things during the fireworks festival. You can read my decryption more in Oregairu Analysis – “When” Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) Decides to Help Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃). (link is above. ⇑)
After Haruno gets his answer, she figures it out there’s no progress between them (him and a certain girl) so = She is relieved.∼♥ This is what Haruno wants to check. Whoa! This is thought process of the elite, huh? Nah. And I suspect this is her objective because she doesn’t ask anything more than that because she is satisfied with his answer. This is how she gets information she wants to know from Hachiman, and her hidden feeling. So what she do next is closing this topic and hiding her thoughts.
So Haruno is satisfied after her investigation and got what she wants to know, she prepares escape route by her magic trick. She uses “Yukino”+”Field trip” earlier to start “another topic”, it is “Yukino’s souvenir”. So she can close previous case silently and perfectly. Even Hachiman can’t notice her intention.
And although I think she doesn’t realize this feeling of her or this is love or not. The reason why a woman asks man like that, if she didn’t do this for her sister as she always said clearly many times (that I don’t believe her that much because she just uses “Yukino” so everyone will not know her intentions. So I will leave you to find the answer “why she is relieved” when she realizes that there’s no any “progress” happened to Hachiman during the school trip. I can tell you for now that she is normal woman who is not different from others. Her personality is just her persona. I suspect she is in l*** but she might be not aware of her own feeling. However I didn’t believe in this unbelievable truth until she shows a burning emotion after this moment, when she knows an unpleasant truth from a former classmate of Hachiman. you should not believe me until I explain solid evidence in Part 2. And it’s related to her fire doughnut. (??)
To decode Haruno’s thought is very difficult, so please don’t believe me before read LN v8 again. Anime can’t clear her hidden intention.
More of Haruno’s style
This section is oot. But in case you wonder about Haruno’s skill so she can hide her thoughts. I will pick just two examples that happened before the doughnut cafe event.
The first sample is in LN v3, I explained about her style when she meets Hachiman for the first time, when she teases them, uses “touching” techniques and shows cuteness, all of these are how to hide her true intention, that it is… You can read more about her objective in this post – “Oregairu Analysis – When Yukinoshita Haruno Also Gazes into Hachiman.”
The second sample is in In LN v4, you can see Haruno’s style while she “warns” Yuigahama after she pulled a boy who she is looking for, from her. You can read about her style in my post – “Oregairu Analysis – “Before” Yukinoshita Haruno Decides to Help Yukino.” (link is above) ⇑ I assume she didn’t warn Yuigahama for Yukino’s sake. (But I don’t think she is the only one who covers her thoughts at that time, even Yuigahama is not different while hides behind her friends naturally.)
Haruno is very depressed because of someone who isn’t there.
Haruno tells Hachiman that her sister used delivery for sending souvenirs to their home because Yukino doesn’t want to meet her family. The reason why she sent them is she doesn’t like her family but doesn’t want them to hate her back.
Why does Haruno think Yukino Hates Her Family? And Why is She Sad?
I think if you read/watched LN/anime/manga, you would remember how Haruno is depressed when she tells Hachiman that her sister hates her family. Previously, I didn’t understand why she thinks like that. Although Yukino sent souvenirs but didn’t go back home , it didn’t mean she hates her family. And when I searched the answer in this LN v8 over and over, I couldn’t find the answer to explain why Haruno comes to this conclusion. Until I found the answer in LN v5-6.
In order to understand why Haruno thinks her little sister hates her and parents, I must find…
- Her original wish during the firework festival that drives her to participate the cultural festival.
- Her secret plan to be the strong enemy so her younger sister and others will be united, to recover the self confidence of Yukino that will answer her original wish.
- Her feeling when she realizes that her sister really gains that achievement.
- Their (temporarily) closer relationship during the after party (after the school cultural festival).
If I can connect these puzzles about Haruno in LN v5-6, Drama CD v7 and v8, I can reach the answer why she thinks her little sister hate them but doesn’t want them hate back and feels depressed about this.
So I strongly recommend you to read LN v5-6 and Drama CD v7 because her feeling at this time, has strong connection with “her original wish” that was shown in LN v5, and “her secret plan to realize that wish” during school cultural festival in LN v6, but if you think it would spend too much time and energy, you can explore the answers from the analysis I wrote.
- Oregairu Analysis – “When” Yukinoshita Haruno Decides to Help Yukino. (Link is above.) ⇑ – This post decodes Haruno’s thoughts and actions toward her sister during the firework festival, before she decides to go to the school cultural festival. This will explain her hope. (LN v5/anime ss1 ep9)
- Oregairu Analysis – “After” Yukinoshita Haruno Decides to Help Yukino. (The First Part) (Link is above.) ⇑ – This is how Haruno plans and do things secretly so her hope will come true. (LN v6/anime ss1 ep10)
- Oregairu Analysis – “After” Yukinoshita Haruno Decides to Help Yukino. (The Last Part) (Link is above.) ⇑ – Although Hachiman destroys her plan completely, but his effort still holds her hope. And of course, his actions makes her wish comes true. (LN v6/anime ss1 ep11-12)
If you read LN v5-6 include Drama CD v7 or all of my analysis above, I hope you can understand how Haruno hopes her sister will gain her own self/confidence so she doesn’t need to feel she is not important (cure her inferiority complex) anymore and can stand with her own two legs. But the original wish of Haruno is, she expects her younger sister will be close to her like old days again.
And it seems it’s like she wishes for real, Yukino could recover her own self confidence because of recognition from other people, and she didn’t depend Haruno’s help only anymore, but she asks her help with a deal, that shows how she is growing up. Therefore, the powerful transparent wall of Yukino toward her sister, was reduced its density, so Haruno could approach her more than usual, and they are united clearly when they helped each other chanting dark magic to Hachiman.
So to sum it up, Haruno who believes that her younger sister gains her own self confidence and their relationship is recovering, it’s natural for her to expect that they will be close sisters like old days. However, after the school trip, what Haruno gets after her own effort (and his effort) is the unexpected action. Yukino sent the souvenir via mail delivery…
So this can explain about Haruno’s depression and why she thinks her little sister hates her and family. It’s like when you expect something too much, but when it’s not like you hope, you will get despair in return. Actually, she doesn’t know what happened in Kyoto arc and why the development of her sister that happened earlier during cultural festival, didn’t work.
This is out of topic, but if you want to know why Yukino sends souvenir so she doesn’t need to meet her family, I am sure that her experience in the past is the cause. I mean, in LN v7 (anime season2 ep2).
Oregairu Analysis – Why are Yukinoshita Yukino and Yuigahama Yui So Angry at Hikigaya Hachiman (During The School Trip)?
When Hachiman’s action destroys Yukino’s expectation. This is the turning point that happens because she misunderstands about his image that both of them create together.
Oregairu Analysis – Why does Yukinoshita Yukino “Stay Angry” at Hikigaya Hachiman? (After The School Trip)
After Hachiman crushes Yukino’s belief, she can’t believe in anything anymore. That makes her keeps rejecting him and her self-confidence is worse, that makes her keep aloof from people (her decision to send the souvenir to her family via delivery is one of them).
LN v6 (Yukino changed positively, Haruno is happy.)
LN v7 (Yukino’s misunderstanding and Hachiman’s action makes her angry, also her condition changes for the worse.)
LN v8 (Yukino’s condition is worse, Haruno is depressed.)
I forgot the source, but I remember something I read from a book. Some character says human’s mind always changes.
Since Haruno never know what happened, so she interprets that her sister would hate her family but doesn’t want them to hate her (Yukino doesn’t want to meet them but bought gift so they will not hate her). However, I doubt Yukino feels like that, the worse condition of Yukino happens because of her own misunderstanding and Hachiman’s action. Her overwhelming disappointment creates the transparent barrier to reject people (especially Hachiman) and it makes her decide to not go back home as the next result because with we consider her condition right now, she can’t meet her family, not with her state of mind like this.
The conclusion of Haruno are kind of softly and pitiful. However, she notices his stare, she puts her coffee cup down and turns to him with exaggerated movements.
Since Haruno realizes that her sister doesn’t want to go back home so much enough to send souvenirs via delivery, she feels depressed because she thinks her sister hates her and family. It feels like Haruno is so lonely. (Yes, you guys, I mean that.) I mentioned in Part 5 about she was manipulated by her mother so she wants to avoid her as much as she can. But her sister who she loves/cares for, is the one who wants to avoid her and family. That’s why she feels depressed and lonely.
I see Haruno trusts Hachiman enough to vend to him a little (that it’s very clear, compares when she talks to him during firework festival that she often vent and dodged her feeling), I notice she opens up to him because his action during the school festival made her plan succeed, although what she says is vaguely. However, she realizes she is depressed in front of him so she acts with 180 degrees and tries to change the mood.)
- Maybe her reaction is just because of social manner (pretends to be fine so people will not be worried about her.)
- or it is because she just want to vent her negative feeling to someone she trusts. Because when I look in the whole LN, I think there are just two people she can trust (Hiratsuka-sensei and him). And right now he is here, that’s why she shows her expression like that and reveals her depressed feeling a bit. Her mask is thinner a lot when she is with him or sensei privately.
High hope ends up with deep disappointment.
To change the atmosphere, Haruno changes topic again, and she says Hachiman would be bored because no events in school anymore but he disagrees. because there’s still the student council election. This makes her surprised. It appears there’s no candidates so it need to be postponed.
The New Hope and Despair
This news makes she thinks of happy memory(ies) between her and her kouhai, Shiromeguri Meguri (城廻 めぐり). She is confident her kouhai will ask Yukino to try the election but Hachiman doesn’t think so. Haruno hears his answer but wants to confirm, so she asks him again and his answer is still the same.
- Haruno uses word “events in the school” to send both of them to another topic so she can changes the mood in better way. In other words, she changes the topic. I am not surprised if Hachiman will not know why she changes topic many times. I assume that he would look Haruno is talkative. So it will not be surprised if she has many things to discuss. You can notice she jumps over and over.
However, no matter Haruno wants to avoid he will know she is focusing on her own feeling about her sister and family, she would return to the same place, unintentionally (Is this Uroboros?). Because when Hachiman mentions about student council election, the first thing she thinks of, is her sister again (Actually, what she focuses on, is two things – about Hachiman and another is Yukino. But when she confirms his feeling was not stolen yet, she feels relieved secretly and I don’t think even a single bit that she wants to match him and Yukino like she always pretends to let everyone understand she wants them to be the couple. Because she did something like that to hide her own feeling. I will let you know why I am confident like this in Part 2.
- I notice that after Hachiman told Haruno that her sister wouldn’t be the candidate, somehow I feel she is very disappointed more than a moment ago. (notice from LN, she pauses a little before confirms with him again that her sister will not run for presidency.) It feels like she has some high hope but it ends within 1 minute like that.)
Short words can explain more than you think.
As Haruno is disappointed about her sister, she sighs. Her reaction makes Hachiman wonders so he tried to ask her more. She tells him she never work in student council because it’s the pain to do plain jobs. This time she says with just short words and giggled. (<- “These two hints” from Haruno have deep meaning more than you think, read more so you will know why I think like this. I will explain carefully below.)
- I guess Haruno would think Yukino is suitable to do serious jobs in student council more than her. Or finally, Haruno found a job that doesn’t suit for her, but Yukino is suitable for this kind of job.
- Benefit of being involved in this position are…
- Learn how to make a positive impact and leadership in school.
- She will has many chance to coordinate with many students, teachers and organization outside school. She would gain more friends and has connection with variety of people.
- I don’t really know why Haruno expects Yukino will run this position. But I think SCP will be good medicine for her sister. This position is the highest position among students. If Yukino runs this, she would feel less inferior whenever she compares herself to Haruno. I assume that Haruno wants to destroy the high wall between her and her sister. Don’t forget Yukino avoids her sister because she feels inferior. So with this high status from SCP, will decrease the height more or less and Yukino will be proud to do difficult job like this.
- Haruno’s short words (boring) makes I think her depression and disappointment is heavy more than Hachiman think (I will say again I saw her despair in manga) because right now she would be deep in thought but her negative emotions overflowed until she said “…so boooring.” and giggles with those reality. I assume that she laughs because her sister ่just blow such an ultra rare chance like this. If she doesn’t run this position when she is second-year, it’s no way she will run it in third-year because of entrance exam.
The way Haruno holds her coffee cup and be quiet (you can’t see she did this in anime), tells me that she tries to look for other rare opportunities like this. But the result is 0. So that’s why she wants to confirm again by asking the question about Yukino will not run this position from Hachiman. Her conclusion and his confirmation are reasons why Haruno feels despair. Even her who is genius, can’t find how to decrease that high wall between her and her sister (you can laugh if you want, because Haruno ends up giggle).
- If my assumption is right, and plus with Haruno mentioned about Yukino hates them (her and family). It means that she wants Yukino will not avoid her and come back to her, just like when they always are in the past. If this assumption is not wrong, we can see she really loves/cares for her sister. If Yukino really comes back to her again, her loneliness will vanish automatically.
- ps. Her depression is about her sister refuses to come back home. Her disappointment is about Yukino doesn’t want to run for presidency.)
Hachiman still doesn’t know Haruno’s feelings.
After Haruno said so boring… she is very quiet but her expression right now makes a certain person nearby starts to be worried about her. However, she notices a boy near her is worried about her so she smiles at him, this smile makes him pauses a bit.
- This time, Haruno is venting her heavy gloomy feeling again but not intend to vent to Hachiman directly. So when she notice he is worried about her. You can call this is her instinct or social manner to change her expression by wearing cheerful mask again to hide her true feeling.
- The reason why she tried to wear cheerful mask many times is
- She doesn’t want him to think she is pathetic and lonely. (Just like Rumi’s case)
- She doesn’t intend to let people around her worried because of her. It is normal to hide her feeling so he will not be worried about her too much.
- I notice Haruno has sensitive radar to monitor emotions of people around her.
If she detects dark emotions, her cheerful mask will activate immediately to ease those dark emotions. It’s like her barrier/ security system. Her mask exists because of her own fear.
New characters! Orimoto Kaori and Nakasomething.
And then, Haruno’s together time with Hachiman has end… because someone calls his name. One of 2 girls greets him and taps his shoulders (in LN). (Great… Now Haruno’s thought was cut because of a girl named Orimoto Kaori (折本 かおり)… This girl seems be friendly for someone loner like him (talks with him and taps his shoulders like she is his old friend.) With all of Orimoto’s reaction towards him, I feel Haruno starts observing this girl quietly while she is talking with him.)
When bad omen is nearby.
Orimoto notices Haruno who sits next to Hachiman so she asks this is his girlfriend. After he says no, she agrees too and comments it’s no way this beautiful woman will be his girlfriend.
it’s no way this beautiful woman will be his girlfriend.
it’s no way this beautiful woman will be his girlfriend.
it’s no way this beautiful woman will be his girlfriend.
…Orimoto’s comment almost makes her friend (umm… Nakasomething) laughs too. After Haruno listened to Orimoto’s comment, she peers at his face and asks they are his friends.
- Haruno understood Orimoto wouldn’t be his good friend since she insults him like Gi*nt and her friend is like S*neo so she asks him directly. I feel this is not simple question (Look at Haruno’s eyes in anime Zoku episode 3 when she asks him this question, there’s doubtfulness within her eyes). When she sees his mask (fake smile), his expression confirms her suspicion.
After she saw gloomy scene and their behavior earlier, she asks him as if she wonders they wouldn’t be his friends, right?
- I mark red words “it’s no way this beautiful woman will be his girlfriend.” above because I want to tell you bad omen is nearby. Because of Orimoto’s comment, someone is going to be moody. This sentence is taboo/forbidden for a certain person! You can imagine fire is burning, kukukuku but I will explain about this later.)
Conclusion of Part 1
Haruno met Hachiman in doughnut shop, locks him so he will not escape from her, and hang out together. We can see pink atmosphere around both of them (although he doesn’t notice). She doesn’t hesitate to tease him whenever she meets the one she is very fond of with her usual trick (whisper at his ear). (I hope someone should know already how Haruno feels toward Hachiman.)
She starts small secret mission to know “his love relationship” secretly by using “her trap word” and “wide question”. I assume she feels relieved (but hides her feeling from him) after knew he has no feeling to anyone yet. Her real intention is to know his feeling for her own self-satisfaction, not for her sister.
Hachiman’s case closed. So the remained problem is about Yukino. Haruno vents her feeling to him about her sister (she hates her family).
I assume that he and Hiratsuka-sensei are people she trusts. Her mask is thinner when she talks with one of them privately. Because they are the one she can vent her negative feeling.
No matter Haruno wants to avoid he will know she is focusing on her own feeling about her sister and family, she would return to the same place, unintentionally (Is this Uroboros?). Because when Hachiman mentions about student council election, the first thing she thinks of, is her sister again (Actually, what she focuses on, is two things – about Hachiman and another is Yukino. But when she confirms his feeling was not stolen yet, she feels relieved secretly and I don’t think even a single bit that she wants to match him and Yukino like she always pretends to let everyone understand she wants them to be the couple. Because she did something like that to hide her own feeling.
After she confirms from Hachiman that Yukino will not run SCP. Haruno’s short word (boring) and giggles are two hints that have deep meaning. SCP will make Yukino has confidence and pride so she will not feel inferior to Haruno anymore and comes back to her again. She hopes SCP can decrease the high wall between her and her sister. And plus with Haruno mentioned that Yukino (the one Haruno loves/cares for) avoids her and her family, if the height of that wall decrease, Haruno’s loneliness will vanish.
But Haruno’s hope was destroyed after she heard from Hachiman Yukino will not run SCP. After she calculated but can’t find next rare opportunity and plus with Hachiman’s confirmation, she feels despair because her hope is the one that vanishes (Is this Danganronpa?). That’s why she says boring and giggles. Her giggle is because Yukino blow this ultra rare.
Haruno is in depression+despair mode because of her sister. At the same time, she tried to change mood after she noticed the atmosphere is sour because of her. He would get her feeling more if new character doesn’t show up.
Haruno can sense Orimoto would not be his friend. His fake smile confirms her suspicion (Who are you, detective?).
And because Orimoto is confident that HachixHaru can’t be possible, someone is going to be moody, so I will prepare water to stop fire (or maybe I should call to fire station). However, I’m not sure I can stop that person’s bad mood. So I will start part 2 next time!
ps. Orimoto, I think you need life insurance before her wrath will reach you.
This is just part 1 only.
Yes, it is and we still does not close to Haruno’s operation “Fire Doughnut” yet. I hope part 2 will. I will launch it as soon as possible but please understand that I wrote analysis while read light novel at the same time so it may take a long time. In the next part, I will continue analyzing what happened after this. And since a new character, she will make it hot more than you can imagine.
Don’t miss it!
It seems this is the longest analysis I ever made, what do you think or expect about Haruno’s operation? What should come next in the next part? Please leave your comment so I will know what’s on your mind.
If you think this analysis is interesting and want your friend read this too, Share buttons below are ready to serve you.
If you want to receive the latest Oregairu analysis, follow Yahari Bento blog by click Follow button in this post will help you get notification when the newest post is published. ;3
Operation Fire Doughnut List
I pasted this list so you can explore all parts of Haruno’s operation. Dozo!
- Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 2) [Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Season 2 Ep 3] - New character appears & interrupts HachixHaru. I should call to fire station, or else everything will... (kukuku) ?? What's this smell?
- Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 3) [Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Season 2 Ep 3] - Yukinoshita Haruno's purpose during doughnut shop period was revealed in this part. She didn't do anything just for fun or messing around at all.
- Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 4) [Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Season 2 Ep 4] - While Hikigaya Hachiman receives call from Yukinoshita Haruno, it just normal conversation they exchange. However, in this part 4, she used her "trump cards" to him while holding her smartphone.
- Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 5) [Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru.] - Because Haruno "misunderstood" about what Hachiman said to her, "one of her wishes" was revealed.
Related Oregairu analysis you should not miss!
While Haruno is talking with Hachiman in the doughnut cafe, she uses “Haruno’s style” to hide her own intention. But this is not the first time she did it. In LN v3, she shows her style for the first time.
In LN v4, Haruno “warns” Yuigahama after she pulled Hachiman from her by using her style again. However, she doesn’t warn her for Yukino’s sake.
I mentioned earlier that Haruno trusts Hachiman more enough to vent her feeling when she feels depressed about relationship within her family. This analysis will give you tons of clues that can tell you her unbelievable story that you will never see from anywhere before.