In Oregairu, we saw Hachiman launched many plans (or should I say, operations) for solving problems. All plans are effectively and gave good results. However, in Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。), there are other intelligent characters who are second to none. Guess who?
One of these is Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃). She is so smart & manipulated type. We can’t get why she did this and that because she is not MC. We, LNl readers, can’t read her thoughts like Hikigaya Hachiman (比企谷 八幡).
- Please read Attention page first, to let you understand that my all analysis are not 100% right. All of them mix with my assumption/guess as well, more or less. If you expect absolute reliable analysis, I can’t provide them to you.
- This post is full of spoilers. I recommend you to read LN/anime/& even manga for full information.
Operation Fire Doughnut,
Master Donut, Chiba Perfecture, Tokyo,
Evening with the setting sun,
LN v8, Anime Zoku ep 3-4, Manga -Monologue- v7
Reason why this analysis exists
- I believe after read LN, manga & watch anime zoku like endless circle, we would finally understand her purposes/feelings/thoughts some day, just like during doughnut shop. Who know that her double date plan is complete mystery more than you can imagine.
- I found gigantic unbelievable truths, before and while write Haruno’s operation.
- Who will think she has feeling toward that boy and that girl like this?
- Who will think she plans secret mission like this?
- I can only say for now that she wants to eliminate two people. And she wants “that certain person” and without any obstacles.
You can know all answers (1-3) after read all parts of operation Fire Doughnut only.
Hachiman thought she just messing around (and I agree too, before) but after I got her feeling, I pick fire ring as featured image of this post. You will know why I chose this image later.
Why Fire Doughnut?
I think about title of this analysis as “Fire Doughnut”.
- Doughnut resembles a ring doughnut, you will know why I chose ring doughnut later.
- Fire resembles Haruno’s feeling back then during she was in doughnut shop.
After I got Haruno’s feeling and purposes, I named her plan as “Operation Fire Doughnut” to represent her emotions and thoughts. …I feel you are thinking “What the h*** are you writing about?”. I kinda understand so just relax and continue to read.
Damn another long range Oregairu analysis
Yeah, I will warn you this is very long post, so prepare doughnut and hot cafe au lait , with this heavy sugar snack and drink, you might survive from my analysis and Haruno’s wrath. I and she will show you no mercy!
It will be too long post (If you wonder how long this analysis, I spend writing everyday about 2 weeks but the progress still is 25%) if I don't split this analysis into multiple parts (part 1, part 2,~). I want it will be easy for you to read.
Find out a quiet place to kill time alone.
Haruno went in @Master Donut shop to kill time before go eat with her friends later. In order to kill time, she brought many books and headphone to listen to music.
- Maybe not music, but I can’t think others more than that.
- This is just my guess, I think she would think the same as Hachiman think, to choose this doughnut shop because it is good to kill time since it’s very quiet and she can refill coffee so she can stay as much as she wants (in anime zoku ep 3, this shop is very quiet.
- Hachiman mentioned this doughnut shop didn’t fit to her, it means she doesn’t care about image. If she cares, she would go to St*rbuck instead.)
Time out for killing time alone
During her killing time, Haruno saw Hachiman came to this shop as well so she greets and waves her hand to him. She didn’t expect he will come to this place. And then she pauses a little (damn, I can’t find a picture when she pauses, so please look in anime zoku ep3) while sees him went away… Haruno follows and sits next to him.
- I suspect she would be around this area or this shop often because she said it’s rare to see Hachiman around there.
- Haruno is pleased to meet him again~ and hopes he will sit next to her since he seems come alone but it’s not as she expected, he chooses another seat far away!
- After little disappointed, Haruno gathers her things and moves to sit next to him. If he doesn’t want to sit near her, she will be the one sits next to him! I suspect she is disappointed and sulking.)
It is golden chance!
Haruno did the same before moving, reading. When both of them know reason why s/he came to this place, Hachiman tries a chance to leave but to leave but she squeezes in and uses her usual attack (whispers near his ear) to knock him out!
After that, she commented he is different from other guys, they tried too hard to talk with her longer.
- Hachiman doesn’t understand why Haruno needs to sit near him but for her, this is rare chance to be close to him alone together.~ So no way she will miss golden chance like this!
- Finally, he can escape from her but she caught his retreat. She wants this golden chance to beeeee continue and no way let it fade away so quickly like this!)
Reading with him is good, but teasing him is better!
Haruno succeeds in keeping golden chance so she can spend time together with him comfortably. They end up reading books and drink coffee. Time flows slowly and later, she notices Hachiman is staring at her so she sends him a question.
It appears he wants another refill so she passes her cup as well. The reading time still continue if she doesn’t starts teasing him again. Just see his annoying reaction, she is pleased so much.
(This would be the first time (if I remember well) that Haruno and Hachiman spend time together, she seems enjoying this time so much she must stop him from retreat. Read book with him sure is nice but I’m talking about Haruno, as the one who looks out for him, she can’t stay quiet forever and starts 2nd round teasing him again~)
Must check his feeling about her sister.
After that, Haruno stops reading & makes big stretch while groaning~ before asks Hachiman about her sister, Yukinoshita Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃). Hachiman thinks she doesn’t seem too interested about what she asks.
This time, she poses as the commander, turns to him and clears her throat intentionally. She asks there’s any progress during field trip. After he answers, she said Yukino sent souvenirs to home.
- I noticed she asks about “her sister” just to begin another topic and to prepare a trap word.
- I underlined at “she poses as commander—- clear her throat intentionally” as I kinda sure this the sign that Haruno is preparing herself before launches very short questions to check Hachiman’s feeling because the last time she saw him is during congratulations party after school festival, so she wants to confirm that there’s any progress between him and Yukino (or other girls) or not.
- Haruno is a woman who wants to hide her true intention from interlocutor or other people by using indirect question or secret mission (such as what she did to Sagami Minami during school cultural festival.). And this time is not different. She pretends to ask about what happened after she doesn’t see him for a long time. And the field trip is famous for teenagers to look for good place to build relationship with the one they are interested.
- As I mentioned before Haruno prepared a trap word “Yukino” to Hachiman & asks short question about progressing during field trip so if there’s any progress (she means love relationship), he would think doki doki moment and started be shy/blush and tries to hide it. But if nothing happened, he would answer normally (and you will his response, won’t you?)
- After Haruno got his answer, she figures it out there’s no progress between them so = Hachiman doesn’t has feeling to anyone yet. This is Haruno’s goal. Whoa! This is elite’s thought process, huh? And I suspect she is glad with his answer but hides her feeling very well. Even Hachiman can’t notice this.
- So Haruno is satisfied after her investigation and got what she wants, she prepares escape route by her magic trick. She uses “Yukino”+”Field trip” earlier to starts another topic about Yukino sent souvenirs to home (Good job well done, Haruno!). So she can close this case silently. Please don’t believe me before read LN again. Anime can’t clear your doubtfulness.
More of Haruno’s style
- Come to think of it, this is not the first time Haruno uses trap word to hide her true intention. In LN v3, I explained about her style when she meets Hachiman for the first time in this post – “Oregairu Analysis – When Yukinoshita Haruno Also Gazes into Hachiman.”
- In LN v4, you can see Haruno’s style while she “warns” Yuigahama Yui (由比ヶ浜 結衣) after she pulled Hachiman from her. You can read about her style in my post – “Oregairu Analysis – “Before” Yukinoshita Haruno Decides to Help Yukino.” I assume she doesn’t warn Yuigahama for Yukino’s sake.
She is so sad because of someone who wasn’t here.
Haruno tells Hachiman that her sister used delivery for sending souvenirs to their home because Yukino doesn’t want to meet her family. The reason why she sent them is she doesn’t like her family but doesn’t want them hate her back.
Her conclusion words are kind of softly and pitiful. However, she notices his stare, she puts her coffee cup down and turns to him with exaggerated movements.
After Haruno realizes her sister doesn’t want to go back home so much enough to send souvenirs via delivery, she feels depressed because her sister hates her and family. It feels like Haruno is so lonely. (Yes, you guys, I mean that.) I mentioned in Part 5 about she was manipulated by her mother so she wants to avoid her as much as she can. But her sister who she loves/cares for, is the one who wants to avoid her and family. That’s why she feels depressed and lonely (like pic above).
I see Haruno trusts Hachiman enough to vent to him a little. However, she realizes she is depressed in front of him so she acts with 180 degrees and tries to change the mood.)
- Maybe her reaction is just because of social manner (pretends to be fine so people will not be worried about her.)
- or it is because she just want to vent her negative feeling to someone she trusts. Because when I look in the whole LN, I think there are just two people she can trust (Hiratsuka-sensei and him). And right now he is here, that’s why she shows her expression like that and reveals her depressed feeling a bit. Her mask is thinner a lot when she is with him and sensei privately.
High hope ends up with deep disappointment.
To change her sad mood, Haruno changes topic again, and she says Hachiman would be bored because no events in school anymore but he disagrees. because there’s still the student council election. This makes her surprised. It appears there’s no candidates so it need to be postponed.
This news makes she thinks of happy memory(ies) between her and her kouhai, Shiromeguri Meguri (城廻 めぐり). She is confident her kouhai will ask Yukino to try the election but Hachiman doesn’t think so. Haruno hears his answer but wants to confirm, so she asks him again and his answer is still the same.
- Haruno uses word “events in the school” to send both of them to another topic so she can changes the mood in better way. In other words, she changes the topic. I am not surprised if Hachiman will not know why she changes topic many times. I assume that he would look Haruno is talkative. So it will not be surprised if she has many things to discuss. You can notice she jumps over and over.
However, no matter Haruno wants to avoid he will know she is focusing on her own feeling about her sister and family, she would return to the same place, unintentionally (Is this Uroboros?). Because when Hachiman mentions about student council election, the first thing she thinks of, is her sister again (Actually, what she focuses on, is two things – about Hachiman and another is Yukino. But when she confirms his feeling was not stolen yet, she feels relieved secretly and I don’t think even a single bit that she wants to match him and Yukino like she always pretends to let everyone understand she wants them to be the couple. Because she did something like that to hide her own feeling. I will let you know why I am confident like this in Part 2.
- I notice that after Hachiman told Haruno that her sister wouldn’t be the candidate, somehow I feel she is very disappointed more than a moment ago. (notice from LN, she pauses a little before confirms with him again that her sister will not run for presidency.) It feels like she has some high hope but it ends within 1 minute like that.)
Short words can explain more than you think.
As Haruno is disappointed about her sister, she sighs. Her reaction makes Hachiman wonders so he tried to ask her more. She tells him she never work in student council because it’s the pain to do plain jobs. This time she says with just short words and giggled. (<- “These two hints” from Haruno have deep meaning more than you think, read more so you will know why I think like this. I will explain carefully below.)
- At this point, if you still don’t understand how she thinks/feels, I recommend LN again and manga Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru. -Monologue- (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。-妄言録-) too. In this manga, you can see her “true despair” more than in LN or anime.
- I guess Haruno would think Yukino is suitable to do serious jobs in student council more than her. Or finally, Haruno found a job that doesn’t suit for her, but Yukino is suitable for this kind of job.
- Benefit of being involved in this position are…
- Learn how to make a positive impact and leadership in school.
- She will has many chance to coordinate with many students, teachers and organization outside school. She would gain more friends and has connection with variety of people.
- I don’t really know why Haruno expects Yukino will run this position. But I think SCP will be good medicine for her sister. This position is the highest position among students. If Yukino runs this, she would feel less inferior whenever she compares herself to Haruno. I assume that Haruno wants to destroy the high wall between her and her sister. Don’t forget Yukino avoids her sister because she feels inferior. So with this high status from SCP, will decrease the height more or less and Yukino will be proud to do difficult job like this.
- Haruno’s short words (boring) makes I think her depression and disappointment is heavy more than Hachiman think (I will say again I saw her despair in manga) because right now she would be deep in thought but her negative emotions overflowed until she said “…so boooring.” and giggles with those reality. I assume that she laughs because her sister ่just blow such an ultra rare chance like this. If she doesn’t run this position when she is second-year, it’s no way she will run it in third-year because of entrance exam.
The way Haruno holds her coffee cup and be quiet (you can’t see she did this in anime), tells me that she tries to look for other rare opportunities like this. But the result is 0. So that’s why she wants to confirm again by asking the question about Yukino will not run this position from Hachiman. Her conclusion and his confirmation are reasons why Haruno feels despair. Even her who is genius, can’t find how to decrease that high wall between her and her sister (you can laugh if you want, because Haruno ends up giggle).
- If my assumption is right, and plus with Haruno mentioned about Yukino hates them (her and family). It means that she wants Yukino will not avoid her and come back to her, just like when they always are in the past. If this assumption is not wrong, we can see she really loves/cares for her sister. If Yukino really comes back to her again, her loneliness will vanish automatically.
- ps. Her depression is about her sister refuses to come back home. Her disappointment is about Yukino doesn’t want to run for presidency.)
Her cheerful mask slips lately.
After Haruno said so boring… she is very quiet but her expression right now makes a certain person nearby starts to be worried about her. However, she notices a boy near her is worried about her so she smiles at him, this smile makes him pauses a bit.
- This time, Haruno is venting her heavy gloomy feeling again but not intend to vent to Hachiman directly. So when she notice he is worried about her. You can call this is her instinct or social manner to change her expression by wearing cheerful mask again to hide her true feeling.
- The reason why she tried to wear cheerful mask many times is
- She doesn’t want him to think she is pathetic and lonely. (Just like Rumi’s case)
- She doesn’t intend to let people around her worried because of her. It is normal to hide her feeling so he will not be worried about her too much.
- I notice Haruno has sensitive radar to monitor emotions of people around her.
If she detects dark emotions, her cheerful mask will activate immediately to ease those dark emotions. It’s like her barrier/ security system. Her mask exists because of her own fear.
New characters! Orimoto Kaori and Nakasomething.
And then, Haruno’s together time with Hachiman has end… because someone calls his name. One of 2 girls greets him and taps his shoulders (in LN). (Great… Now Haruno’s thought was cut because of a girl named Orimoto Kaori (折本 かおり)… This girl seems be friendly for someone loner like him (talks with him and taps his shoulders like she is his old friend.) With all of Orimoto’s reaction towards him, I feel Haruno starts observing this girl quietly while she is talking with him.)
When bad omen is nearby.
Orimoto notices Haruno who sits next to Hachiman so she asks this is his girlfriend. After he says no, she agrees too and comments it’s no way this beautiful woman will be his girlfriend.
it’s no way this beautiful woman will be his girlfriend.
it’s no way this beautiful woman will be his girlfriend.
it’s no way this beautiful woman will be his girlfriend.
…Orimoto’s comment almost makes her friend (umm… Nakasomething) laughs too. After Haruno listened to Orimoto’s comment, she peers at his face and asks they are his friends.
- Haruno understood Orimoto wouldn’t be his good friend since she insults him like Gi*nt and her friend is like S*neo so she asks him directly. I feel this is not simple question (Look at Haruno’s eyes in anime Zoku episode 3 when she asks him this question, there’s doubtfulness within her eyes). When she sees his mask (fake smile), his expression confirms her suspicion.
After she saw gloomy scene and their behavior earlier, she asks him as if she wonders they wouldn’t be his friends, right?
- I mark red words “it’s no way this beautiful woman will be his girlfriend.” above because I want to tell you bad omen is nearby. Because of Orimoto’s comment, someone is going to be moody. This sentence is taboo/forbidden for a certain person! You can imagine fire is burning, kukukuku but I will explain about this later.)
Conclusion of Part 1
Haruno met Hachiman in doughnut shop, locks him so he will not escape from her, and hang out together. We can see pink atmosphere around both of them (although he doesn’t notice). She doesn’t hesitate to tease him whenever she meets the one she is very fond of with her usual trick (whisper at his ear). (I hope someone should know already how Haruno feels toward Hachiman.)
She starts small secret mission to know “his love relationship” secretly by using “her trap word” and “wide question”. I assume she feels relieved (but hides her feeling from him) after knew he has no feeling to anyone yet. Her real intention is to know his feeling for her own self-satisfaction, not for her sister.
Hachiman’s case closed. So the remained problem is about Yukino. Haruno vents her feeling to him about her sister (she hates her family).
I assume that he and Hiratsuka-sensei are people she trusts. Her mask is thinner when she talks with one of them privately. Because they are the one she can vent her negative feeling.
No matter Haruno wants to avoid he will know she is focusing on her own feeling about her sister and family, she would return to the same place, unintentionally (Is this Uroboros?). Because when Hachiman mentions about student council election, the first thing she thinks of, is her sister again (Actually, what she focuses on, is two things – about Hachiman and another is Yukino. But when she confirms his feeling was not stolen yet, she feels relieved secretly and I don’t think even a single bit that she wants to match him and Yukino like she always pretends to let everyone understand she wants them to be the couple. Because she did something like that to hide her own feeling.
After she confirms from Hachiman that Yukino will not run SCP. Haruno’s short word (boring) and giggles are two hints that have deep meaning. SCP will make Yukino has confidence and pride so she will not feel inferior to Haruno anymore and comes back to her again. She hopes SCP can decrease the high wall between her and her sister. And plus with Haruno mentioned that Yukino (the one Haruno loves/cares for) avoids her and her family, if the height of that wall decrease, Haruno’s loneliness will vanish.
But Haruno’s hope was destroyed after she heard from Hachiman Yukino will not run SCP. After she calculated but can’t find next rare opportunity and plus with Hachiman’s confirmation, she feels despair because her hope is the one that vanishes (Is this Danganronpa?). That’s why she says boring and giggles. Her giggle is because Yukino blow this ultra rare.
Haruno is in depression+despair mode because of her sister. At the same time, she tried to change mood after she noticed the atmosphere is sour because of her. He would get her feeling more if new character doesn’t show up.
Haruno can sense Orimoto would not be his friend. His fake smile confirms her suspicion (Who are you, detective?).
And because Orimoto is confident that HachixHaru can’t be possible, someone is going to be moody, so I will prepare water to stop fire (or maybe I should call to fire station). However, I’m not sure I can stop that person’s bad mood. So I will start part 2 next time!
ps. Orimoto, I think you need life insurance before her wrath will reach you.
This is just part 1 only.
Yes, it is and we still does not close to Haruno’s operation “Fire Doughnut” yet. I hope part 2 will. I will launch it as soon as possible but please understand that I wrote analysis while read light novel at the same time so it may take a long time.
It seems this is the longest analysis I ever made, what do you think or expect about Haruno’s operation? What should come next in the next part? Please leave your comment so I will know what’s on your mind.
If you think this analysis is interesting and want your friend read this too, Share buttons below are ready to serve you.
If you want to receive the latest Oregairu analysis, follow Yahari Bento blog by click Follow button in this post will help you get notification when the newest post is published. ;3
Operation Fire Doughnut List
I pasted this list so you can explore all parts of Haruno’s operation. Dozo!
- Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 2) - New character appears & interrupts HachixHaru. I should call to fire station, or else everything will... (kukuku) ?? What's this smell?… Read More Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 2)
- Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 3) - Yukinoshita Haruno's purpose during doughnut shop period was revealed in this part. She didn't do anything just for fun or messing around at all.… Read More Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 3)
- Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 4) - While Hikigaya Hachiman receives call from Yukinoshita Haruno, it just normal conversation they exchange. However, in this part 4, she used her "trump cards" to him while holding her smartphone.… Read More Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 4)
- Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 5) - My first analysis about manipulation within three beautiful women in Yukinoshita family. Why is Haruno so persistent in Yukino? And do you know in this part 5, Haruno "misunderstood" about what Hachiman said to her.… Read More Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 5)
Related Oregairu analysis you should not miss!
While Haruno is talking with Hachiman in the doughnut cafe, she uses “Haruno’s style” to hide her own intention. But this is not the first time she did it. In LN v3, she shows her style for the first time.
In LN v4, Haruno “warns” Yuigahama after she pulled Hachiman from her by using her style again. However, she doesn’t warn her for Yukino’s sake.
I mentioned earlier that Haruno trusts Hachiman more enough to vent her feeling when she feels depressed about relationship within her family. This analysis will give you tons of clues that can tell you her unbelievable story that you will never see from anywhere before.