Even a little girl can transform! Tsurumi Rumi (鶴見 留美), an elementary school girl who Hikigaya Hachiman (比企谷 八幡) and co. saved her from bullying by her clique during Summer camp at Chiba village. However they didn’t expect she will transform in front of them! For some people, it is changing. For me and her, it is “Transformation”.
To tell you the truth, I didn’t expect myself to write a post about her before. However, after I read LN v4 again & again, I found she is very interesting girl in “Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.” (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。), Oregairu (俺ガイル) series . You might wonder why I think like that?
Reasons why focus on her.
When I read LN v4 when Hachiman and co. are trying to solve Rumi’s problem. If you read this volume or watch anime ss1 ep8, you would see she decided to save all girls and runs away from Hayama Hayato (葉山 隼人) and co. during the test of courage in the forest.
I am interested to find out why she did that. Why did she save friends who have bullied her? How is she feeling before and when she saves her friends?
Before I start to analyze about the transformation of Rumi, I will collect the 2 events.
- Event during after splashing water.
- Event during Hachiman’s operation is happening in the forest.
Event during after splashing water.
After finish from splashing water, Yukinoshita Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃) and Yuigahama Yui (由比ヶ浜 結衣) came to Hachiman and Rumi. She hears Yui is concerned about her so she says she doesn’t want anyone thinks she is pathetic. However she says to all of them she gave up.
After Hachiman heard that and saw her crying, he decides to solve her problem so he said he hopes she will be fun in the test of courage.
I notice that Rumi’s words made Hachiman is upset with the world (people) around her who made her fall into the despair. But I think his anger came from his own direct experience in the past that was not different from Rumi’s situation. That’s why he decided to change the situation for revenge the society as the first priority, but I didn’t say he didn’t intent to help her, but what he did is to destroy bad people who made him recall bad memory.
This is the first time for Hachiman’s revenge. You can see him destroy the society/bad people again during the school cultural festival many times. I notice that he didn’t feel well to do that, but it’s no other choices for him + his anger that drives him to sacrifice himself. If you want to read his thoughts and feelings that time, you can explore at Oregairu Analysis – “After” Yukinoshita Haruno Decides to Help Yukino. (The Last Part)
Event during Hachiman’s operation is happening in the forest.
We saw Hachiman, Yukino and Yui sit and watch Hayato and co. are talking with Rumi’s clique secretly, right? We will sit near them too.
- Tobe Kakeru (戸部 翔) and Miura Yumiko (三浦 優美子) (friends in Hayato’s clique) start to threaten Rumi’s clique.
After that, Hayato orders half of them can run but another half will stay here. He lets them choose who will stay.
- All girls choose a certain girl you know who. Rumi was forced to stay. Hachiman feel depressed by the scenes in front of them. Hachiman discuss to 2YY that if all girls are true friends, their group will not be crushed. However, he doesn’t expect that in this group.
- Hayato forces all girls to choose two more. They vote a girl named Yuka to be next one. Yuka protects herself by charging Hitomi, Hitomi does the same to Mori, Mori charges both of them. 4th girl, Yokko, cries.
- Hayato sets time limit to hurry all girls up. They decided Yuka and force her to stay. Hachiman and Yui think the same it’s no choice. He thinks no one can’t overturn everyone‘s vote even if it is against your feelings. So he despises it.
- Countdown remains 10 seconds. Rumi closes her eyes, she holds her digital camera tightly as if it’s a protective charm. As if she is praying.
- Rumi uses her camera to make Hayato and co. blind and let all girls escapes together. Hachiman and others are surprised.
- Yui thinks they really are good friends but was rejected by Hachiman because they looked down on Rumi. He thinks she would be genuine because she intended to save people who have looked down on her. However he’s not sure yet and gives Natsume Souseki’s quote. He can’t tell if someone is genuine or not, it likes “In a Grove” by Akutagawa Ryuunosuke. Yukino starts to sigh, Yui is confused. So he decides to read up on Souseki properly.
The rise of Tsurumi Rumi
This section I will analyze the transformation of Rumi by picking 2 events above.
Before her rising
Rumi thinks she can’t do anything and gives up. Before the test of courage starts, her condition is more worse, Hachiman understood she gave up already, to herself and people around her. She doesn’t know what to do and no one tells her what to do. It’s like she’s lost by ill-willed people.
I notice when Yui is concerned about Rumi, she feels like she is pathetic and doesn’t want anyone thinks she is. It’s normal when we is in bad condition (eg. sick/fail/bankrupt/etc.) and if good or kind people know about this, they will be concerning or want to help.
However, when other people feel like that, we will feel more depressed. Depressed because we can’t solve problem by ourselves. Rumi is feeling like that. It’s like pride.
And the last thing is, I think she can be perceptive. (like Hachiman and Yukino) I notice she thinks and wonders many things almost time, especially about herself.
However, with this perceptive and pride, she will use them to transform and find her own path later.
Transformation mode activate!
The sudden changing of Rumi happened when Hayato and co. are threatening her clique. In LN v4, Hachiman picks Natsume Souseki’s quote to explain during explaining his plan. I think Watari-sensei intended to use Souseki’s quote to focus on Rumi too. I will explain in Rumi’s point of view.
We know Rumi gave up about her problem already but when she went to the forest with her clique, if I think she is smart girl, she will notice that Hachiman (who said the test of courage will be fun to her) might be the one who plans about this.
It will explain why kind high schoolers like Hayato and co. treat them so violently. Another thing is, when Tobe and Yumiko threaten them, they miss Rumi for some reason.
After Rumi was sacrificed, she sees all girls blame each other. They end up crying for this nightmare. She will notice her clique will be crushed soon. It means her bullying will end soon too. However, I am sure Rumi doesn’t like this. I notice when she shuts her eyes and be quiet.
Maybe she realizes all of these happens because of her. The sudden change of kind high schoolers, her clique is the last group that enter the forest, the despair of all girls, all of these happens because she gave up.
Hachiman and others try to solve her problem by themselves because she told them she doesn’t want them to see her as a pathetic one but her tears betray her back then. She knows they are concerning to her but her pride can’t accept they feel like that.
Another reason Rumi will change because she heard one of girls speak her idea to tell their teacher. If all girls did that, Hachiman and others will get big trouble! And if that happens, it will be her fault as well. She will never forgive herself to pull others get involved anymore!!
Finally, With pride and perceptive, Rumi suddenly change!! As Natsume Souseki’s quote Hachiman said eariler:
Under normal conditions, everybody is more or less good, or, at least, ordinary. But tempt them, and they may suddenly change.
With the pressure in her own thought, she transforms like she is new Rumi. Before, she accepted her own fate and gave up. But right now, she decides to act like the hero who saves her friend by using her camera.
It’s not easy to do something you never do but she can. However, I doubt she wants to be hero or not because I think she tries to save all girls even if they are ill-willed people for other reasons.
Reasons why Rumi saves all girls
- I think she pulls them and run away together so Hayato and co. can stop act like delinquents to solve her problem. With her pride, she wants to show them she will not be weak forever. She decides to be stronger so they will not force themselves to save her.
- If other girls want to tell this to teacher, she will stop them and they might listen to her because she saved them from nightmare earlier.
And that’s the analysis about the rise of a little girl who started to grow by her own legs but by a heavy push of other people who wish well for her. I know Hachiman and co. didn’t expect Rumi will change but the reality they saved her is true.
I think Rumi is a girl who think it’s fine if the damage of problem limits to her only but if other people will get trouble because of her too, she can’t stand it and tries to upgrade herself better. How about you? What do think about her changing? Feel free to write your Comment.
If you think this analysis is worth to let other people read it too, Share buttons below can serve you.
If you want to receive the latest Oregairu analysis, follow Yahari Bento blog by click Follow button in this post will help you get notification when the newest post is published. ;3