Oregairu analysis focused on Hayama Hayato (葉山 隼人) during the doughnut cafe – Hayato’s heroic performance.
In cerebration about news Oregairu LN v12 is in progress, let me launch New Year gift 2017 for you & all Oregairu fans.
In part1, Hayato was called by Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃) to come to the doughnut cafe and fell to her trap (he must go have fun with Orimoto and Nakasomething), but he realized how she feels toward him, and although she knows about his feeling toward her, she grouped him with unknown girls for many reasons.
Actually, I am writing about Hayama’s love plan during the School Cultural Festival that happened in LN v6, anime ss1 ep10-12. I will say that I strongly recommend you to read that post first before you continue reading my analysis – his multidimensional plan.
Oregairu Analysis – “LOVE Plan ♥” of Hayama Hayato During The Cultural Festival? The Time to Reveal This Has Come! (The First Part) – In this post you will see how he misunderstood about Haruno likes “Hachiman’s sacrifice”. And this will reveal his love plan during the school cultural festival too.
Oregairu Analysis – “LOVE Plan ♥” of Hayama Hayato During The Cultural Festival? The Time to Reveal This Has Come! (The Last Part) – Not available yet. – He still tried his best so his love plan will be successful, but he was defeated again by his love rival, Hachiman, the biggest obstacle of his plan.
If you wonder about “many reasons” of Haruno, you can read more in Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno Launched Operation Fire Doughnut! (Part 3). She didn’t all of this for fun for sure.
And if you didn’t read part 1 of Hayama’s multidimensional plan, I recommend you to start at this part first. So you will not be confused.
Oregairu Analysis – The TRUTH(s) behind Hayato’s Sacrifice for Hachiman (Part 1) – This post started analyzing when Hayama when he got call from the one he might be waiting for – he needs to go have fun with unknown girls.
But when I read to the point after Hayama “sacrificed” himself to stop Orimoto Kaori (折本 かおり) and her friend badmouthing to Hachiman, he told to Hachiman that…
“…I’ve always been thinking. About a way to take back the things that I destroyed.”
At first, I didn’t know what he meant. But if I connect [the story about Haruno rejected to him in the doughnut cafe] with [take back the things that he destroyed], it’s not too difficult to decode what he means. I can assume that he needs to “do something” so he can take back things he destroyed (If you read my analysis Haruno’s operation fire doughnut (part 3) (link is above ⇑), you would know what he destroyed). That’s why after he decided to [do something], but before he will do something, he needs to prepare characters he will use first, so he goes to talk with Hikigaya Hachiman (比企谷 八幡).
I will say that if Hayama can’t invite Hachiman to the group date, his multidimensional plan will be the bubbles immediately, since Hachiman will take many roles.
I can say that from what “Hayato confronts those two girls for Hachiman’s sake”, and when I look back, “he invites Hachiman to the date” <— is the first sign that he is planning for his own goal. Why do I think like this? It’s because why does Hayato need Hachiman to this event too? I will explain about this in the last part of this Hayato analysis about the truths behinds his heroic acting. I assume that he planned to force Hachiman to his plan, in the same day he falls Haruno’s trap.
When Hayato decides to “use” Hachiman to [take back what he destroyed], I think his intelligence and his true self starts to think how to use Hachiman to his other problems too. I will not tell you for now because all questions why each characters (Hachiman, Haruno, Yukino and Yuigahama) gather to that cafe and Hayato starts to unleash his finishing move “Holy Breath” (in LN v8 c5, anime Zoku ep4), will be revealed in the last part of this Hayato analysis. Please be patient and I want you to take your time and think there are something fishy in his action. I can say for now that Hayato is like what Haruno says in the end after he confronts those girls.
If you wonder Hayato’s true self, you can read more in Oregairu Analysis – 2nd Memorandum: Or, It Can Be This Person’s Monologue. There you will find his feelings and thoughts in LN v10. Although the incident after he sacrificed himself to stop those girls badmouthing Hachiman, his suffering still continue with understanding reasons.
I can say for now that Hayato will use anything/anyone and manipulates them to do as he wants. His intelligence is S but his bravery is F. I will explain you in the last part why I think like this.
What happened in LN v8 c3, anime Zoku ep3, I assumed in Haruno’s operation (part 3) that Hayato would do something wrong in the past when the bullying incident happened in the elementary school he and Yukino studied. And the hatred Haruno has to him is feeling to what he did back then. I mentioned in part 3 that Haruno hates him from the bottom in her heart because after he did something wrong and the bullying, her sister, Yukinoshita Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃) went to study abroad. I can say Hayato wants to do something to take back things he destroyed. But like usual, I will explain in the last part.
So in this part, I will explain how Hayato plans and prepares before the showdown, hanging out with Orimoto Kaori (折本 かおり) and Nakasomething will start. But I will not reveal why he plans this.
- Please read Attention page first, to let you understand that my all analysis are not 100% right.
- Spoilers up ahead.
- I recommend you to read/watch Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。), Oregairu (俺ガイル) LN/animeYahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. Zoku (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。続)/manga Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru. -Monologue- (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。-妄言録-) before proceed.
I strongly recommend LN because some info in this analysis, can’t find in anime or manga. LN has the most detail/story more than other media.
This analysis will explain the timeline when Haruno called to Hachiman to go with Hayato in the date group. So I recommend you to read Oregairu Analysis – And Then, Yukinoshita Haruno’s Operation Fire Doughnut (Part 4) first, since this will explain how Hayato prepares his countermeasure indirectly too.
And if you don’t read the first part of the truths behind Hayato’s sacrifaction (link is above ⇑), please read this first before read this part 2.
Hayato's countermasure Chiba Perfecture, Tokyo, LN v8, Anime Zoku ep 3-4, Manga -Monologue- v7
When does Hayato start the countermeasure?
I assume that Hayato would start to think about how he will survive from Haruno’s operation, in the same day when he comes to the doughnut shop. Because when I look his whole plan, I think he needs enough time to ensure his plan will be perfect/successful and can solve all problems in one blow. I think he is genius to think a complex countermeasure like that, but he needs time to think about this carefully.
Why do I think Hayato plans something?
There are too many fishy hints/clues that Hayato’s heroic action in ep4 is weird in my opinion.
- Haruno’s opinion – Do you still remember when Haruno tells him that people who can just handle everything flawlessly blah blah blah in LN v8, anime Zoku ep4, don’t you? I notice that Haruno that time would realize about his countermeasure already (or should I say, she is the only who finally know his true intention(s).). So what she tells him is just sarcastic words but within these sarcastic words of her makes me think she sees him as the genius who has high intelligence that can solve all problems and trick even someone like her too.
- The presence of Yukino and Yui – At first, I don’t get why they appear to the cafe. I know Hayato calls them, but he needs to call them while he is hanging out with other girls? This is not make sense to me at first place, but when I realized his objective…
And of course I will explain about this in the last part of Hayato analysis.
- Hayato’s expression – Do you still remember after Hayato confronted those girls and everyone leave except him and Hachiman or not? He looks gloomy/disappointed. You can say he is not please to sacrifice himself to protect Hachiman. This is understandable. But I don’t think his expression will match with how he should feel after did that either. It would be understandable if he will feel tired or scared because he never do something like that before. But his expression that time is not consistent with his heroic action. That’s why I suspect this moment too.
The starting point of Hayato’s multidimensional plan
I am sure that Hachiman is the starting point. I mentioned before in part 1 that Hayato will use him for his own multidimensional plan. After he knows Haruno’s feeling toward him, he needs to do something or else he will lose it.
Why is Hachiman the only choice for Hayato?
Hayato know Hachiman is not involve with the group dates in the first place. So inviting him is weird and although he invites him, he would refuse anyway. But I will say that Hayato needs to use Hachiman because
- His big another problem” – since we don’t know about Hayato’s story much, but I will say for now that he has other problems he needs to solve too. But he will use that problem to the great opportunity instead.
- Hayato possesses high intelligence. He can find how to solve his problems in one go. (and I will explain why I think like that in the last part.) I can tell you for now that for Hayato’s point of view, he super duper supreme gigantic hates Hachiman million percent more than anyone anything in the universe (and I am not kidding). I can’t deny this anymore because from what happened in anime Zoku ep4, it appears that if he forced Hachiman to join this group dates, he can use/manipulate/burn him for his own purposes, to solve his problems and if he gains all achievements he is wishing, he will toss Hachiman like some kind of trash in the end because …I can’t tell you for now about this either so I will just short it that because he hates him so much. He will manipulate Hachiman for his own hatred/impulse/self-satisfaction. After I review Hayato’s multidimensional plan, I realize how he feels toward Hachiman. Please don’t let his nice face trick you. Although he seems not feel angry/upset Hachiman so much like I wrote, but he can’t hide his feeling after I realize his true intention(s) for his plan.
So Hachiman is the only choice Hayato must force him to this group dates at any costs. If he can bring his love rival to come to this group, the preparation of his multidimensional plan will reach to 50%.
Then, how will Hayato drag Hachiman to the date group?
Hayato tells Hachiman about the time of the group dates with Orimoto and Nakasomething. Hachiman tells him he doesn’t know about this. Hayato is surprised he doesn’t know. Hayato seems not get it and tilts his head. and says he thinks those girls means all of them when they said they all wanted to go out. Later, he concludes Hachiman is not invited so he smiles and invites him. He bows and asks Hachiman to come along and think this as helping him out. But Hachiman refuses this. He says…
“I won’t be of any help to you nor are you the kind of guy who needs it.”
And he tells him he will not leave house because it’s weekend.
#1 – Hayato is the mimicker.
In this scene when Hayato comes to tell Hachiman about the group dates, I think he starts by copying Haruno’s style. When I read this scene in LN v8 c5, I notice the way he is acting/pretending (such as surprised, tilts his head, etc.) are the same style Haruno likes to use. So it means he would see her acted like that too often and thinks her style would work for this situation when he must pretend he is stupid boy. And we see it works, doesn’t it? Because even Hachiman tells him he is stupid or not.
#2 – This confirms Hayato will force Hachiman.
Hayato this time decided he will use Hachiman but will pretend to ask him politely. However, when he tells Hachiman “to come along and think this as helping him out”, I notice how Hayato inserts his intention about he just want to use him, not ask him for help. When he tells Hachiman like this, it seems that he wants Hachiman misunderstand that it is like he tells him. But his true intention is different completely.
#3 – Hachiman’s words is interesting more than you think.
“I won’t be of any help to you nor are you the kind of guy who needs it.”
After Hachiman refuses Hayato to join in the group dates since he thinks he should invite some friend instead, he drops some interesting words before he leaves. I think this would be his own opinion only. But when look from another point of view, I start to think this would be the message from Watari-sensei himself to point out Hayato’s true intention about try to drag Hachiman. And if my assumption is not wrong, this dialogue is telling me that…
Hachiman won’t be of any help to Hayato nor Hayato is the kind of guy who needs it.
If my assumption about Hayato is trying to use Hachiman is true, I don’t see he wants any help from Hachiman either. Because he will use him, not ask him for help. So he actually doesn’t need help from Hachiman, because in Hayato’s point of view, Hachiman is some kind like victim/bait/obstacle he will use/manipulate/burn in his own plan. So that’s why I don’t see any reasons that makes Hayato needs Hachiman’s help.
#4 – The difference between “ask for help” and “pretending”.
Moreover, if Hayato wants to need “help” from Hachiman, he would beg him just like when he asked him to stop Tobe from confession in Zoku ep2. I suspect he doesn’t want to be in-debt to Hachiman anymore. Just that time is enough. That’s why this time he doesn’t tell any reason why he must invite Hachiman. Although in anime Zoku ep2&4, we see Hayato bows to Hachiman, but his feelings from those two situation are different completely.
That time (in ep2), Hayato can’t stand it because he has no choice but asks help from the one who he hates the most. He needs to swallow his pride and bows. His expression and words back then, give me this assumption.
This time (in ep4), It seems Hayato has some plan in his mind.
When I read to this point Hayato bows to Hachiman, I realize he is pretending to ask him. Why do I think like this? Because why is it difficult to Hayato to not understand those girls just want to hang out with him only, Hachiman is not relate to their fun tour at the first place. And this is Hayato who is very smart to the same level with Haruno? This doesn’t make sense to me at all. So I assume his actions…
- Hayato pretends to tell Hachiman to go out with him and those girls in Saturday.
- Hayato acts like he doesn’t understand why Hachiman doesn’t know the schedule, and tilts his head.
- Hayato pretends to realize Hachiman is not invited.
#5 – The trigger to the next phase.
Another my assumption is, if Hayato pretends to act so he can start to invite Hachiman to this group dates, is true. It means he is planning something and needs Hachiman as the starting point for his scheme.
The last interesting clue is Hayato would know Hachiman will refuse his invitation anyway. Why do I think he pretend to ask for help? Because it’s high possibility that Hachiman will refuse this invitation because he wouldn’t gain anything from this event. I don’t see why Hayato will not see this will come, so I assume he would know Hachiman must refuse definitely. So that’s why I think he pretends to ask help. After he hears Hachiman refuse his invitation, his rejection becomes the trigger for “the next phase”. That’s why when Hachiman is leaving from the classroom after he refuses Hayato’s invitation, Hayato murmurs,
I assume that it’s time he will ask another “trump card”.
When I said earlier about “maximum benefits”, I can say Hayato will not just gain one benefit only. If his plan is successful and no one notice his countermeasure, he will gain many benefits. So that’s why Hachiman’s role to Hayato’s plan is not just join the group dates to prevent the rumor only.
His trump card
I think you would know already who is trump card when I mentioned about Hayato will use it after Hachiman refuses his invitation. Do you still remember when Hachiman still sits in the sofa in his house in the midnight, don’t you? Someone calls to him via his sister’s phone, Hikigaya Komachi (比企谷 小町).
Yes, this trump card is Haruno. You can read Haruno’s operation Fire Doughnut part 4 since the timeline is the same from this analysis. This post will help you can see the situation clearer.
Many people wonder why Haruno knows Hayato invited and even bowed Hachiman to the group dates. This is understandable, because Hayato is the one who lets her know. Why do I think like this?
Because when you think about the timeline when Haruno calls to Hachiman, it is still the same day Hayato invites him. So when you look from timeline, it is high possibility that he would contact her and discuss about the group dates. And I assume that he knows Haruno-san very well since they played together in the past. So he would know he can use her if he tells her about he tries to invite and even bow to Hachiman but he refused. If he reports her like this, she would fall into his trap and is super duper curious why he needs Hachiman for this event so much.
So she would try to ask Hayato why he did that, he would not say anything but right now he succeeds to make Haruno is interested and suspects that he must need Hachiman in order to do something for sure. So it will not be surprising if she volunteers to force Hachiman to this group dates. That’s why it ends up she and him plan about this date event together (such as the quiet place).
I assume that Hayato would know she will spy on this event for sure, because he is the one who makes her interested in his secret plan. You can see why she calls to Hachiman to force him to this interesting event. But since she doesn’t know his true intention(s), I can assume that she doesn’t participate in Hayato’s plan 100%. She helps him a bit because she is just curious only. I will say that Haruno doesn’t know about Hayato’s multidimensional plan either. Because if she knows, I am sure she would not drag Hachiman to this event either.
Moreover, the solid evidence about Hayato plans to use Haruno to force Hachiman to participate in this his plan is…
How does she know Hachiman prefer to live in the house in the weekend?
Because Hayato again tells her that Hachiman would not go outside in the weekend. So he gives her this information (after Hachiman refused Hayato’s invitation, Hachiman is the one who told Hayato he will not leave from the house in the weekend.). See? Hayato records this valuable information and tells Haruno. This is how she can arrange the schedule so Hachiman can’t excuse he can’t go.
Hayato knows Hachiman would refuse to join the group dates at the beginning, so after Hachiman refused his invitation, he reports Haruno about this. After she is curious why he needs Hachiman to some secret scheme, she ends up volunteer to invite Hachiman. And I didn’t tell you that Haruno is planning this with Hayato, he is the only one who planned his own operation, she just drags Hachiman only.
Now he can drag and use her to participate in his countermeasure. Moreover, when I say he drag Haruno to spy on this event, she doesn’t know what he is planning. But I will say that she is like Hachiman, Hayato is planning her to take many roles, and I will say that she didn’t know that she will be used, since she thinks she will be the observer his show only. Congratulations! You trick her successfully. Also Hachiman doesn’t realize Hayato will use him and end up burn him to ash.
So right now, Hayato tricked Haruno to drag Hachiman to the date group, and he is successful dragging her to his plan. Because both of them are characters that will play in his multidimensional plan. And both of them didn’t realize that he will be using them in the future,
so he can do something to take back things he destroyed.
Conclusion in Part 2
Hayato would plan his “multidimensional plan” in the same day he fell to Haruno’s trap to go out with those girls.
Hachiman is the starting point to Hayato’s plan. He is the most necessary for Hayato’s plan because he can solve big problems for him in one go.
If he can drag Haruno because he reports her that he invited and even bowed him but he refused. He use Hachiman as the trigger to drag her so he can use her force Hachiman and drag her to be the character in his plan too.
How to invite Hachiman and Haruno of Hayato.
- Hayato mimics Haruno’s style to pretend he is stupid so he doesn’t know how Hachiman isn’t invited to the group.
- The difference between “ask for help” and “pretending” of Hayato can be seen in the scene in anime Zoku ep2 when he asks Hachiman to help and ep4 when he asks Hachiman. His expressions in both scene are different.
- Hayato knows Hachiman must refuse his invitation. But he prepared the next phase already. Hachiman’s rejection is the trigger for Hayato to use the trump card, Haruno, to force him to the group dates.
- Hayato reports to her how he invited and even bowed Hachiman but failed. His report makes she feels super duper curious and decides to help Hayato by forcing Hachiman to this event. But she and Hayato are not planning this multidimensional plan. He is the only one who is the commander.
- Moreover, Hayato can use Hachiman to drag her to observe this event too. His plan right now is running smoothly even Haruno and Hachiman can’t notice.
This is how Hayato prepares by forcing Hachiman and dragging Haruno to his multidimensional plan. He uses Hachiman to drag Haruno, uses Haruno to force Hachiman, and now he has both of them. I hope you can catch up my analysis.
I will end this part 2 for now.
In the part 3, I will explain [how Hayato’s plan is running while he hangs out with Orimoto and Nakasomething], until they will reach that legendary cafe that he will activate “Holy Breath” there.
Don’t miss it!!
(And I will explain how Hayato make Hachiman is the real victim.)
Or if you don’t have WordPress account, you can ((Subscribe)) this blog with your mail by type your email address in form below and click Follow button ⇓ , so the newest post will warp to you instantly.
After you read my analysis, if you have some thought about Hayama Hayato, or even other characters, you can write in ((Comment)) form below. I want to read every comments from readers because your opinion is important.
If you think this analysis is worth enough to let others read this too, you can ((Share)) by using share buttons below. ⇓
The List of The TRUTH(s) behind Hayato’s Sacrifice for Hachiman
- Oregairu Analysis – The TRUTH(s) behind Hayato’s Sacrifice for Hachiman (Part 1) - Oregairu analysis, reveal the truth(s) behind the mask of Hayama Hayato, the perfect boy who sacrifices himself to protect Hikigaya Hachiman from Orimoto Kaori and her friend. But in this part 1, I will analyze how Hayato thinks/feels before "his countermeasure".