Welcome again with my Oregairu analysis focus on the incident after the donut shop, the truth about Yukinoshita Haruno (雪ノ下 陽乃)‘s love in the past, and etc. If you think I’m talking the love between Hikigaya Hachiman (比企谷 八幡) and her, you are misunderstanding!
If you finish reading Fire Doughnut Operation of Haruno part 1-3 already, this place is next stop for you. (If you still didn’t finish part 1-3, please read them first.) For people who read part 4 that is this page already, you would notice I changed its title but it is still Haruno’s operation Fire Doughnut part 4. I changed its title because I concluded in Part 3 that her mission ended in part 3 so I think it’s suitable to change it to an interesting title.
In part 3, Haruno’s operation that made arrange for Hayama Hayato (葉山 隼人), Orimoto Kaori (折本 かおり) and Nakasomething have fun together is successful. Her plan should be complete by her loyalty subordinate and it should go well. …If a certain boy doesn’t think the countermeasure. Who will think that “her soldier” will let the cruel truth she gave to him (her rejection) carry on? and he will drag Hikigaya Hachiman to be involved as well.
- 10/5/2019: I decoded about Haruno’s love in the past and the future. You can search for this topic with Ctrl+F and use this keyword,
Or I can find Haruno’s love.
- Please read Attention page first, to let you understand that my all analyses are not 100% right.
- Spoiler up ahead. And I recommend you to read/watch Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。), Oregairu (俺ガイル) LN/anime Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. Zoku (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。続)/manga Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru. -Monologue- (やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。-妄言録-) before proceeding.
Chiba Prefecture, Tokyo, LN v8, Anime Zoku ep3-4, Manga -Monologue- v7
Haruno is sensitive more than we think.
Hayato invites Hachiman to hang out with him and those two girls. He rejects Hayato’s offer and goes straight home. At home, He is still awake until midnight and receives a call from Haruno via Hikigaya Komachi (比企谷 小町) (Hachiman’s younger sister). She asks if he quarreled with Komachi or not but he answers her sarcastically, his answer makes her laughs and it makes her stop to talk about this topic for some reason.
Is it just me or Haruno feels… as if she was punched by his answer? Then it means, she pretended to laugh for concealing her uncomfortable feeling? However, what I kinda am sure about she feels bad about this, the truth that the sibling’s quarrel between herself and Yukino is like as Hachiman answered, worsen than his case, and makes her does not want to touch this issue anymore.
Anyway, Haruno says she heard something and asks Hachiman that he will not go on the date he was invited. This question makes him suspect Hayato told her about this. I underlined this info because I want to let you know that this info will be an important clue that connects with Hayato’s scheme to lure “two people” to his own scheme.
The origin of Haruno’s curiosity
I wrote The TRUTH ( s ) behind Hayato’s Sacrifice for Hachiman ( Part 2 ) about how Hayama dragged Hachiman and how he lured her to his plan that I titled “the multidimensional plan”. I will say he managed professionally to make her interested what he will do why he wanted to invite Hachiman to the point he bowed to him, that brought the result she convinced Hachiman to join this dating group in the end. Even Haruno herself didn’t realize he manipulated her mind.
Since I wrote how Hayato lures Hachiman and Haruno to his own plan by using each one to lure another one. So I will not write how he lures them in this page but I will write how Haruno herds Hachiman instead.
Haruno importunes him to go with them but he rejects this again. So she teases him that it would be so romantic to hang out with his old flame.
- ...It’s weird that Haruno calls Hachiman just to invite him to go on a date with Hayato’s group, even if this time is midnight.
- When Haruno teases Hachiman about it would be romantic to go on a date with Orimoto. I suspect she wants to check his feeling about Orimoto. Sure, he wanted to establish the relationship with her before, but right now, Haruno wants to know this so she pretends to tease him like that.
- Moreover, right now, she can talk with him in private, anything he answers will be like the secret that she and Hachiman will know only.
- I think Haruno is the smart girl so she should know there’s no way it will be so romantic between them but she is a normal woman, not be different from other girls, emotion always wins logic. That’s why I suspect she wants to know his feeling.
“Love” in Hachiman’s point of view.
Hachiman tells Haruno that it’s not love. She asks him again what he would call love then. He has that answer for a long time so he can tell her immediately. His answer makes her sigh, after a period of thinking, she chuckles and starts calling him “monster of logic”. He disagrees so she recommends he is like “monster of self-consciousness” instead.
Well, when I read to this point, I felt annoyed about Haruno a bit. She asked a private question that should not do but right now, I don’t think like that anymore. As I suspected earlier, she wants to check his feeling about Orimoto, so this time, she wants to know what is love in his point of view. …And could it be she too, doesn’t know what love is? When Haruno asks him what love is, I feel that she considers his opinion about this is important for her to listen.
After Haruno listened to his answer about love, she sighs… I notice that her reaction tells me that she is reviewing her own life, experience, and the relationship between herself and someone or some people in the past that also was the same or similar with Hachiman’s case, as he said.
“It was just a one-sided interest, or, well, a misunderstanding, so it’s not genuine.”
…Could it be, her love for someone or some people was like this too? Personally, I don’t think she ever loved someone as the lover before because love can be used to explain any relationships, family, siblings, friends, Onee-san & a certain little brother. If you need me to specify her love, I can’t do that but at least, I am sure that she must feel the love that person or those people with a one-sided interest, and it became a misunderstanding, so it’s not the love as she ever thought.
Or I can find Haruno’s love.
Ah! Maybe I can specify her love or I found out three hints that can narrow the result!
The first hint is the previous topic Hachiman and Haruno talked, sibling’s quarrel. If that issue is the hint WW gave to us, what I need to do is just connect with her question she asked Hachiman (love) with that Yukinoshita sisters’ quarrel. Connect nearby events to find the essence. This writing technique of WW is what I saw many times in LN v6 and 8. And I can narrow search results. That is her love toward her younger sister.
The second hint I found is in another post I wrote or the third memorandum in LN v10. There the owner of that memorandum describes how s/he had the connection with the shepherd. Love, justice, and sincerity. I will spoil the truth of this memorandum below so I recommend you to read this post first in case you don’t know who is the owner and want to know first. Explaining the info in this memorandum will help you understand how the hint in this memorandum gets involved with Haruno’s unhappiness toward that person.
If you reached this point, it means you read my analysis about the 3rd memorandum already so it’s safe to explain things to you. If you read my post above, you would notice that I decoded who is the symbol of love, justice, and sincerity Haruno described in this memorandum. If one of my assumptions that Yukino is “love”, this will connect with the first hint I found (sibling’s quarrel). If I connect “Yukinoshita sisters’ quarrel” and “Yukino is love” together, they can explain how Haruno faced the experience as Hachiman told her…
“It was just a one-sided interest, or, well, a misunderstanding, so it’s not genuine.”
The next truth I can extract from this analyzing is, if Yukino is love for Haruno, it means her beloved sister loved her and she also loves her. However, she understood later that the love between both of them was just a one-sided interest. “One-sided interest” in Hachiman’s word tells us that Haruno knew later that her beloved sister didn’t love as she ever believed. This can explain why it is a misunderstanding, so it’s not genuine. This is how Haruno sees her love toward her sister with her own point of view. I think this conversion happened in the past and the result is still happening while they are talking on the phone. If you read the third memorandum, you will notice how Haruno suffers because of 3 combo misunderstanding clearly. Miss!, miss!!, and miss!!!
This also confirms my analyzing about how Yukino is like love, Mrs.Yukinoshita is like justice, and Hayato is like sincerity for Haruno. Who will think I can find this conclusion from writing another analysis?
But it is still possible that love Haruno misunderstood comes from Hayato. If you still remember the scene when he talks with Hachiman during the double date about love and his misunderstanding. So I doubt if love Haruno is thinking, is love toward him. However, personally, I still think the answer is Yukino. Because I consider from the previous scenes, when she vent her feeling about her little sister to Hachiman in the doughnut cafe. So I think the last hint is what Haruno is worried the most, that is her worry toward Yukino, not Hayato. Come to think of it, If you see the incident in the doughnut cafe – double date, the most thing WW tried to present is the distant relationship & quarrel between Yukinoshita siblings in the present.
When I saw things in overall and each hints, I conclude Haruno’s love in the past that she misunderstood is Yukino’s love.
Since I believe that my assumption is correct, we would see how Hikigaya siblings recovers their situation, they apologize each other. I feel WW presented how Yukinoshita sisters’ situation until this day that is not different from Hikigaya siblings that much but HaruYuki are like that for a long time. WW also presented how siblings can return to be the close siblings again, like how Hikigaya siblings say sorry to another side.
But I will not say if HaruYuki will wear the similar uniforms like HachiKoma’ too. (wink!)
That’s why I want to believe that WW shows how Yukinoshita sisters will end up like that to us too. 🙂 I like how the author can write the story that reveals the truths with the scenes, not straightforward words, there are the problem and the solution, composed words and describe how Yukinoshita sisters’ problem will end like that in the finale perfectly, and this is LN v8.
Personally, I don’t think Yukino didn’t love her as she believes. But each character has her/his own point of view. At least, Yukino’s jealous toward other siblings that occurred many times in LN v2, makes me believe that she yearns for that close relationship. And when Haruno said to Hachiman that her sister didn’t want to see her face and hate her (but not want to be hated back), I ever interpret in Haruno’s operation Fire Doughnut Part 1 that Haruno is misunderstanding because she judged with her limited point of view and didn’t know other truth (Hachiman destroyed Yukino’s faith toward him during the school trip (ep2) that left the scar in her heart, becomes the reason she lost her self again because her sanctuary was not as she believed and even lost the attention to come back home to gave the souvenir to her beloved older sister with her own hands latterly). That’s why I believe Haruno is misunderstanding. Imagine when she gives the gift to Haruno, a certain Onee-san would…, well, I will leave how she will react to your imagination.
Buying souvenir of Yukino doesn’t show us a good sign from her? She plans to come closer to her Onee-san with some gift and with the good reason (bought it because she went to the school trip).
Who is the monster of self-consciousness?
At first, I thought she gives him the title, monster of self-consciousness because of how he reviewed himself. But now I think that she gives him this title because his answer made her review herself, how her love ended as he explained how his feeling toward Orimoto is not the love.
- Anyway, I don’t think Haruno wants to tease or mess his feeling for fun or anything like that. When she asks him private love in the past. After they met Orimoto, his first love at the doughnut shop, I can say this phone talk this time is like… a meeting after that event. She wants to confirm his feeling again because she too, is not sure how he feels because she can’t talk to him in private after Orimoto left. So that’s why I am not surprised when she called him so she will feel ease a bit if she asks him and no one interfere with them again.
- When Haruno asks him what Hachiman would call “love”, I suspect that she doesn’t intend to make him feel annoyed (although I thought like that before), but she too, doesn’t know what love even if she ever thought she understood love very well, that person’s feeling toward her was love but it appeared that it was something different that she tells to Hachiman later in LN v10.
I notice her little curious about his feeling toward Orimoto vanishes. I think she knows well how he feels if that feeling was just one-side interest, how it became the misunderstanding, and how it’s not the true thing. And she can confirm he has no feeling for Orimoto anymore.
After Haruno gave him a new title, she returns back to her own plan and sets her trap cards to defeat Hachiman in order to force him to the double date! Let’s see what trap cards are.
Her first trap card: Secretary Transformation! (Wink!)
Effect: When your opponent tried to say s/he can’t go anywhere on the weekend, you can transform into the professional secretary and gains the ability to arrange any schedule.
Anyway, Haruno still importunes him to go on a date with Hayato’s group. She says the date should be Friday so he can relax on the weekend. To this point, he suspects why she arranged this date to be convenient for him. Why did she almost arrange everything herself?
- ...After Haruno knows Hachiman’s feeling about Orimoto that also reflects her own life. She didn’t touch this topic anymore (because she confirms that he doesn’t have a feeling toward Orimoto anymore!). So it’s 100% safe to force him to the double date… (eh?) After finish love talk, she returns to the earlier topic.
- I will make a point to you. Haruno arranged the schedule so the date is on Friday (not on weekend). Haruno, who is not the one who will go hang out with Hayato’s date group, is the one who involves so much to the point that she changed the schedule and lure Hachiman to go on this date. …It seems she has an ulterior motive in this date for sure and she needs him to go with Hayato’s group, no matter what he resists, she counters to his excuse effectively, and he can’t refuse because he wants to stay at home on weekend anymore.
- This means …Haruno’s Fire Doughnut Operation still continues. In Part 3, her plan should be successful and she has nothing she needs to do anymore. However, this time, she changed her mind 180 degrees and decides to include Hachiman in that dating as well. However, she doesn’t realize yet that Hayama will destroy her long-term plan (LN v6) by using two people she is fond of. I decide to reveal this in the post “the conclusion of Haruno’s operation & the truth(s) behind Hayama’s sacrifice for Hachiman (The Last Part)”. I can say for now that he doesn’t know about her long-term plan before but his action after this will ruin her parade.
Her second trap card: Yukinon & Yuiyui!
Effect: This trap card activates when your opponent’s resistance remains about 75%. Two idols will appear and their presence alone can reduce your opponent’s resistance to 50%.
ps. If you can’t imagine how Yukinon & Yuiyui will be in the idol forms, search in g**gle with the word “Oregairu Fes.“
Hachiman tried to refuse he can’t go but Haruno points he went out with Yukinoshita Yukino (雪ノ下 雪乃) and even Yuigahama Yui (由比ヶ浜 結衣) before. This reminds him of two events, the early summer, and the summer break and Haruno also appeared during those events as well… After that, he tells her those are shopping events, but Haruno tells him to go have fun and he can act as Hayato’s chaperon or walks in the same direction as them.
This is just my personal opinion but Haruno’s advent during Yukino’s hanging out and Yuigahama’s hanging out has some important meaning implicitly. Haruno is “the only one” who saw Hachiman went out with girls. She saw him be together with her sister at the shopping mall (LN v3, anime ss1 ep 6, manga -Monologue- v3), and that’s the first time Haruno met him too. And she saw him and Yui when she finished her task during firework festival (LN v5, anime ss1 ep 9).
After Haruno used her trap card, Hachiman’s resistance was reduced by 50%. She countered with combo hits by giving him unbelievable excuses, even I, the reader, almost falls from my chair.
Her last trap card: Warp
Effect: This trap card activates when your attack earlier is combo hit. It can send any card of your opponent to your own deck.
Haruno presses Hachiman more by asking he expects something from this double date and tells him more Hayato will not lower his head just for asking a favor so easily because he is prideful. Finally, she says she will visit his house and drag him instead, and she hangs up the phone after her final declaration.
After Haruno’s trap cards, she activates the most frightening trap card, Warp. This card’s effect will activate if Hachiman didn’t show up on this double date. …But how did she know where Hachiman’s house locate? …It seems this question is stupid to ask, I guess.
I will explain about small timeline a bit because this timeline will make us understand how things happen.
- After school, Hayato invited Hachiman to go with him on double date but was rejected. This period should be the evening.
- Hayato told Haruno that Hachiman rejected his invitation. I suspect he told her smoothly that he lowered his head while asking too but failed. This surprises Haruno and makes her want to know his intention why he wants to invite Hachiman so badly he ignored his pride. I will tell you first that Haruno is falling into the trap of a certain person so she does as that person wants, drags Hachiman into this dating. I will not explain how that person tricks her because I will collect these truths in another post, that is “The Truth(s) Behind Hayato’s Sacrifice for Hachiman (Part 2)”. Writing the truths via that character’s point of view is more suitable.
- In the same day at midnight, Hachiman received a call from Haruno. She
corneredinvited him to participate that double date. She cornered him with her trap cards in the duel and win!
Actually, I want to reveal how Haruno is tricked by that person because of her own curious in detail but I think explaining this in another analysis [when she knows why Hayato wants Hachiman to this dating that is the moment after she watched his show during the date] would be the most suitable time. So please be patient. I recommend you to remember my assumption that Haruno is going to be tricked by him that is the reason she pushes Hachiman to that dating too. When we see that both of them are in the same place where Hayato “sacrifices himself” to save Hachiman from those girls, it means Haruno and Hachiman was lured into one part of his show. All of these are what I want you to remember. I might not believe me because the fact that Haruno doesn’t know that she is tricked by him is unbelievable since she is the smart woman and the situation in anime season 2 ep4 has no any hint that shows Hayato is tricking her and even Hachiman. That’s why…
I will reveal this truth in the post I mentioned above.
Therefore, In this post, I intended to write this analysis start when Hayato invited Hachiman until the end (the whole ep 4), but when I tried to explain about what Haruno did while she called Hachiman, the detail I got, are more than I expected so I will paste what happened after this to the next part. And in the next part, I will analyze Haruno and Hachiman during they are waiting for Hayato in the coffee shop (this scene appeared in LN only).
And I can dare say again that Hayama is another the real genius who tries to save people to save himself. (??)
She never realizes her soldier who always obey her command, will destroy her long-term mission.
However, in the next part, I will postpone about explaining her operation vs his operation for now. In Part 5, I will reveal
the unbelievable desire of Haruno.
lol You will not believe me for sure. But I recommend you to read LN v8 because this truth is in this reference only, you can find it in anime or manga -Monologue-.
Now this analysis, “Now I’ll reveal Haruno’s love in the past” or the former “And then, Haruno launched operation, Fire Doughnut (Part 4)”, comes to an end.
After reading my analysis, I want to know what you think after reading my work too. So please Comment your thought about characters above or my work at the comment form below. Don’t let me write alone.
And if you think my analysis is good enough to send to others too, please don’t hesitate to Share with social buttons below.
If you want to receive the latest Oregairu analysis, follow Yahari Bento blog by click Follow button in this post will help you get a notification when the newest post is published. ;3
Until we meet again.